Condensation on inside of windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 3 properties before this one and never had so much condensation on the inside of my windows as I get at this property.

The U.P.V.C double glazing was installed in 2011, double thickness loft insulation, solid floors with underlay, not sure if there is cavity wall insulation.

Anything I can do to reduce the condensation?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link, interesting read.

It only effects the 3 back rooms, bedroom, kitchen and utility room, none of which are used at night.
The front bedroom, lounge and bathroom hardly get any condensation on the windows.

Thankfully it does not effect any walls, just the windows.

Any washing that needs drying is hung up in the lounge which does not cause any condensation.

There are no trickle vents on the U.P.V.C windows.
Opening the windows in the morning does help but it is pretty cold here so don't like doing that.

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

It only effects the 3 back rooms, bedroom, kitchen and utility room, none of which are used at night.
The front bedroom, lounge and bathroom hardly get any condensation on the windows.

Any washing that needs drying is hung up in the lounge which does not cause any condensation.

hot air rises the warm moist air from the drying washing will escape up stairs onto the coldest surface and water condences

Sponsored Links
Any warm, moist air condenses on the coldest surfaces.....maybe your lounge is nice and warm?
Anyway, you need to reduce the moisture content in your house......no wet clothes anywhere, plus plenty of bathroom and kitchen extraction. Once that's attended to, then you look for other causes!
John :)

Thanks for the replies.

It is a bungalow.

I only do one wash and dry a week, the condensation is on the 3 rooms at the back every morning. From now on I will use the tumble dryer and not the clothes airer.

Yes the lounge is a warmer room.
The bathroom is fine, dry as a bone.

Still use the bathroom extractor, and remove shower water from the walls with a squeegee.......every little helps!
John :)

I had terrible problems with condensation - fitted a new extractor fan and now regulary open windows in the morning even on cold days and it has solved the problem.

It is easier to hear up cold dry air than moist!

Check the rubber seals around the windows which have the condensation problem. They may be incorrectly fitted or have shrunk, allowing cold air to pass around the double-glazed units thus encouraging condensation. A local window installer should be able to replace these rubbers cheaply. Don't be bulls***ted that the windows need renewal. More often than not the frames are perfectly serviceable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back