Condensation on pipes near water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Newbie to the boards with zero experience so be gentle. Here goes...

The problem is that when I run a bath it takes ages for the water tank to fill up again and return to being quiet. It's quite noisy and can last for an age. Stupidly I started to turn the brass taps near the tank and can't remember how they were set in the first place.

The condensation problem was there before I started to fanny about with the taps. I have read somewhere that my toilet flush (currently not working properly) could be the cause of the condensation but is this possible?

I have posted a pic to try and help you understand my problem.

watertanku.jpg

The thing is, if I slacken the tap to the overflow too much it starts to leak drops of water and when I hear the water rushing into the tank I panic and close it tight again.

My question really is how many turns from closed tight should I open each of the taps?

Hope thats enough info on my problem to get some sort of advice?

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon...

Sponsored Links
your "1/4 turn from closed" tap wants to be 1/4 turn from fully open, it won't take so long to fill the tank :idea:
I suspect your "overflow tank" is the f&e tank for the boiler - which is probably dry - it will need some water, couple on inches above the feed to the system.
Lag the pipes.
If in doubt, get a heating engineer out, we dont bite and not all cost an arm and a leg.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I'll slackened off both taps and they don't seem to be leaking now so will leave it like that but keep an eye on them. The condensation seems to have gone down overnight but I'll buy some of that lagging stuff and hope this is the end of it.

Thanks again for speedy replies,
Simmie88

Thanks alot ajrobb, thats worked a treat. :D No drips from either tap now when opened.

Cheers again,
Simmie88

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back