Condensation on single brick walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My 1930's semi had a porch added sometime in the 70's. The walls are single brick and the porch opens straight onto the hallway (i.e no door in between). The walls seems to suffer from very bad condensation and the plaster work is soaking wet every morning. I don't think the roof is leaking, I think its more a problem with the single brick walls being so cold and the warm air from the house.

What is the best solution for this? Should I try to increase the thickness of the walls?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ventilate the porch

Edit

Sorry, did not see the bit about no dividing door :oops:

Ventilation on its own won't do. Nor will thickening the wall. You would probably have to insulate to remove the cold surface - and make this wall as good as the existing external walls to prevent condensation.

Or as suggested below, add a separating door

fit a door between porch and house. You will be losing a lot of expensive heat into that cold, uninsulated porch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back