condensation on toilet cistern solved with simple fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to solve condensation on a customers toilet cistern. As you know the problem is caused when it fills with very cold water and then warm humid air condenses on it. This one was doing serious damage to the old floorboards in the upstairs bathroom. Anyway I got talking to a mate and he told me to use a shoe lace and a jam jar!
Turns out the solution is online here http://www.trovehouse.com/hints--tips what you do is tuck the lace along the join between the cistern and the toilet and then down in to an glass jar. The lace acts like a wick and the condensation just fills the jar. I don't know how to put the pictures up here but the link will take you to them.

Sponsored Links
I would be very surprised if that was much use.

It dopes not stop condensation! It only diverts it into a jar.

Proper ventilation and heating are needed.

Tony

But that's the point, it would be a question of spending more money heating the bathroom or being cold with the window open.
This doesn't stop the condensation but it does deal with it very simply and effectively. Take a look at the pictures they explain it better than i can.

My Gran used to use that principle for watering plants when away on holiday - she had one end of a length of wool in a tub of water, and the wool ran straight down under tension to the plant pot, where it was pushed into the soil. The wicking action used to keep the plant damp for 2 weeks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back