Condensation on toilet cistern

stl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to deal with condensation on the toilet cistern.

I have seen in the USA some sort of insulation system you can insatll inside the cistern to stop the cold water coming into contact with the ceramic and hopefully stopping hot air in the bathroom condensing on the toilet.

Any ideas would be most useful and if anyone knows if this insulation system works and if so where can you buy it in the u.k?

thanks

Sponsored Links
ventilate the bathroom better to reduce humidity.

A fan, switched on automatically when the light is switched on, which runs all the time the room is occupied, and therefore all the time the bath or shower are in use, plus afterwards during drying time, is the best option.

I don't even get mist on my bathroom mirror.

Sponsored Links
honestly though ,i also have this problem as i have a downstairs loo on its own and am fed up putting papers and mopping up the tiled floor all the time if i had to put a hot water pipe to it it would mean digging up the kitchen floor toilet floor back to the kitchen sink ,got to be an easy solution

ventilateventilateventilateventilateventilateventilateventilateventilate

Could you use some of that solution that scuba divers use on their goggles to stop condensation forming and misting over?

Mind you, when I went scuba diving, I used good old spit.

ventilateventilateventilateventilateventilateventilateventilateventilate
thats ok as if you have a shower and bathroom together as i have upstairs and you are right as i also use this system when i pull the light cord the fan comes and there is no condensation, so do you i should put a fan in the toilet to solve this problem :confused:

I think so.

Is the WC close to a steamy room like a kitchen?

Or does it have a solid floor with no DPM?

The moisture must be coming from somewhere :confused:

Keep the lid closed

A fan in a toilet also keeps it fresher

I suffered from this problem too, its very annoying!
In the end I replaced the loo with a cistern which is enclosed inside a unit. A bit of an expensive way of getting rid of a problem but it works!
I did read somewhere on the internet that you can empty the cistern and wax the inside. What kind of wax I don't know, but have a search I think it was a US site. It sounded a bit far fetched...a new loo seemed easier!

I think so.

Is the WC close to a steamy room like a kitchen?

Or does it have a solid floor with no DPM?

The moisture must be coming from somewhere :confused:

Keep the lid closed

A fan in a toilet also keeps it fresher

I don`t mean to rain on your parade but it has nothing to do with any external sources, it has to do with the quality of the W.C. how it was fired & the thickness of the walls ( in the cistern ) etc. The cheaper the bog, the more condensate you`ll get. Sorry. :oops:

come now!

a cistern with walls 9 mm thick will have slightly more heat conductivity than one 12mm thick. But you surely don't believe it will be significant? the outside surface will be about the same temp as the water within.

I either of us could be arsed we could look up U-values, fireclay might not be on there but either tiles or dense concrete would be similar.

A cistern with a fixed amount of water in it will produce the same amount of condensation irrespective of the thickness of the material given that the water temperature in the cistern and the air temperature and relative humidity are the same..what varies is the time taken to produce the quantity of condensate and the water to reach equal temperature with the rest of the room.

In short, thicker clay will slow the production condensation down slightly but condensation will be formed for a longer period of time

Just ventilate..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back