condensation on Toliet Cysten(sp?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with alot of condensation on my toilet cysten(sp?). I think it may be because it is on an outside wall.

Is there any thing I could do to help get rid of this as its getting to the point where it drips off and leaves puddles on the tiles below?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
ch8rt said:
I'm having problems with alot of condensation on my toilet cysten(sp?). I think it may be because it is on an outside wall.

Is there any thing I could do to help get rid of this as its getting to the point where it drips off and leaves puddles on the tiles below?

Thank you

No, it's because it has cold water inside it. Do you have a humid house, is there heating in the bathroom where the toilet is?

but surely thats normall?? could it be that the cold water tank in the roof is too cold?

Yes there is heating in the bathroom, we do get quite a bit of condensation on windows in general? Is it all linked? is there anything I can do?

Cheers

Yes its all linked.......Ventilate ;) PS cistern

Sponsored Links
A small extractor fan is what you need, coupled to the light switch otherwise people will not bother to turn it on.

If it runs all the time the bathroom is occupied, it will take away a tremendous amout of the steam from baths and showers, and generally make the bathroom a more pleasant place. It will not create draughts like an open window will. It costs next to nothing to run.

If you can't be bothered with a fan, use the window.

Our biggest problem is with the cistern. Which generally is worst at night (heatings off).

I don't mind opening a window after a shower but this doesn't appear to be linked with steam from baths or showers?

It is, you know. The room is full of moisture hanging about in the air that you can't see. It's just looking for somewhere to condense on. the coldest surfaces will be the window, the cold water pipes, and the cistern. So that's where you'll see it most. If it didn't go there it would condense on the walls and ceilings even more and you'd get even more damp, mould and rot.

Right ok, this is what I'll do.

I try having the bathroom window open alot more in the next couple of weeks, and then if that works I'll look into getting a fan installed, is it the kind of thing I can do my self??

Should I not bother with a simple vent? and go straight for the fan?

Cheers everyone.

ch8rt said:

I try having the bathroom window open alot more in the next couple of weeks, and then if that works I'll look into getting a fan installed, is it the kind of thing I can do my self??

Cheers everyone.

the big advantage of a fan is that it will draw air out of the bathroom, and pull air in under the door from the rest of the house. A vent or window, depending on wind direction, can blow cold air in, and push the steam into the house.

Drilling a 4-inch hole in the wall is surprisingly easy (you can hire a core-drill from your DIY/Builders rental shop for half a day) but makes quite a lot of dust. It's easier fitting the external cowl if your bathroom is on the ground floor, otherwise there is ladder work. Wiring a fan to the lighting circuit is not difficult, but as it is in the bathroom (dangers of electricity and wet bodies!) there are regulations so it has to be done by a competent person like a qualified electrician. There are also regulations about how far it has to be from baths and showers, so probably not a DIY job really. However, you can also get some that go in the loft with a flexible hose and suck through the celing and vent outside the house. As they are not fitted inside the bathroom you might be able to do it yourself (await advice here as i am not sure).

ch8rt said:

Cheers everyone.

Bathroom extractor fan - giant leap for mankind!!! lol :)

GO STRAIGHT FOR THE FAN MAN!!! GO FOR THE FAN :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back