Condensation Outlet

Damn, acidic nasty stuff, I guess I better keep the dog away from it until I get this rectified. Is it the sort of thing I can just plumb it into the nearest drain via extending the pipe and put some caulk in the hole? Or is it best to query it with my gas engineer? He didn't install the boiler, it was already here when I moved in, but he has serviced the boiler twice since I've lived here and never said anything about this outlet.

Don't panic too much, it's not gonna melt your dog but does need sorting and I'd ask your service guy why he never pulled it up with you. He needs to do it really or someone gas safe... Just to be on the safe side (y)

Sponsored Links
Ok, no problem, in this case I'll give the servicing guy a call, I trust him reasonably well to be honest, and he is GasSafe registered, he is just quite old school and only a few years off retirement so he probably doesn't want too much hassle these days, sticking his probe in your flue and having a quick poke around is probably enough for a days work for him. :D

If putting into downpipe you will need an air break to protect the boiler.

Surprised no-one's (yet) made comment about the diameter of the condensate pipe. In the open air, under winter freezing conditions, the condensate will freeze up, form a solid plug, prevent the condensate draining from the boiler and eventually trip the boiler out (if you're lucky) resulting in no heating. The recommended diameter for external condensate lines is, I believe, 32mm

Sponsored Links
Yep the air gap totally makes sense, but my concern is more actually if the temperatures drop what stops the end of this pipe freezing and the water backing up into the boiler anyway... Unfortunately the boiler is the other side of the kitchen from the sink etc... So I am not sure how we can drain this without taking it outside :(.

I am pretty sure, the boiler flue is pretty much directly above it, and I can literally follow the pipe through the wall and into the bottom of the boiler. If someone wobbles the pipe outside you can even see it wobbling on the inside :D

Well, it is what it is, I guess all we can do is put it right now, I'll get my heating blokey on the phone tomorrow and see what he comes up with. I mean it's taken me almost 2 years of living here to realise when its somewhat dry but the heating is on my patio gets flooded with acidic ****... o_O

Astounded that an installer would have done such a thing.

We'll never really know the why's and wherefore'a but a plausible story might be boiler replaced in middle of frantic heating season, to get CH and HW into yet another home and the intention to return to complete the condense was forgotten in the chaos. Not ideal, I know, but it can happen and should have been picked up on first service at the latest.

as already advised make sure there is an air break if connecting into the rainwater downpipe, if you dont and the pipe blocks, when you get heavy rain the water will back up into the boiler and damage it

Are you sure thats a condensate pipe ? Is there a boiler flue above it ?

Why has it taken 2 years to come to notice? My gut agrees with Terry - is probably an overflow, (and OP has got his pipes crossed :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back