Condensation trap in flat channel ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing 90mm by 180mm (150mm equivalent) flat channel duct work for kitchen hood extractor fan. The exit is vertical and the majority of the run will be covered by plasterboard. I will need some way of removing condensation however all the 150 traps I've found are round. Is there a way to fabricate a trap into the flat channel pvc pipe or is there another means to release condensation build-up?

Sponsored Links
You can buy rectangular to round adapters, if you get two then insert the condensate trap in the centre, but then I guess your problem is that then it will be too large to fit behind the plasterboard.

It is a bit unusual to fit a condensate trap in a cooker hood duct, because, although there will be some steam collected, there will also be a considerable amount of heat which will normally warm the duct and prevent condensation forming on its surfaces. If you thermally insulate the duct, particularly if it passes through an unheated area such as a loft space or garage, I doubt you will have a problem with condensation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments Stem. The thermal insulation might just do the trick. The pipe is vertically passing through a roof void hence the concern about condensation, but as you point out it may not turn out to be that big an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back