Condensation - Ventillation Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - first post, so excuse me if I'm off topic!

I’ve a problem with a lack of ventilation in my 1 bedroom flat (Victorian terrace with a garden, rear extension built in late 1980s).

There has been lots of build-up of condensation on the outer-walls of the lounge and behind the TV cabinet & sofa (lounge is in the rear extension), so I am looking at putting in some air-bricks and a ventilation fans.

The kitchen (which is off the lounge through an arch, so essentially one room), has no extractor fan, so will be installing one in there, but will this deal with the ventilation of both the lounge and kitchen given that they are essentially one room?

Has anybody had similar experiences? I’m not sure how many air-bricks I need to install – is there a general rule of thumb? I obviously do not want the place to get too draughty (is it possible to install air-bricks which minimize draughts?), but want to ensure that the problem goes away!

The bedroom is at the front of the house, with a hall-way in-between. Will I need air-bricks in the bedroom as well as the lounge to the rear of the property, or do I just need one set of air-bricks?

Grateful for your assistance,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would start off by fitting ventilation in the bathroom and kitchen, that should cure the problem.

Bathroom fans need to have run on timers and/or humidistats, run the kitchen fan whenever you are cooking.

Do you have a clothes dryer? Make sure its the condensing type or that it is vented to the exterior, or run the kitchen fan when the dryer is used.

Stop drying clothes on your radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back