Sub floor ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looked at a refurb project house over the weekend. 1920's semi that's had an extension put on the back of it. The extension has covered the air bricks for the suspended floor at the back of the house, so consequently there is no through ventilation. Extra air bricks have been added at the front, and there is no way to get ventilation to the side of the house as there are some solid floors in the way.

Getting ventilation through the extension would be very difficult, so is there any other way of getting ventilation through the sub floor, eg some low powered fan to circulate air?

Sponsored Links
the extension builders should have ducted the existing air brick vents to the new outside wall. are there any air bricks in the new extension?

I take it the extension is the solid concrete floor? if so, they should've use pipe or duct by extending through

Doh, I'm a bit slow tonight :LOL:

I suggested a solution to this in a renovated house in Germany where only one wall could be fitted with air bricks below floor level.

Two 60mm pipes went vertical up from the under ground floor void through to the roof space. On the ground floor they were chromed steel tubes supporting shelving and in the upper floor cheap plastic hidden in the fitted wardrobes.

Passing through a warm living room the steel pipes were warm and this provided a small amount of convection flow.

Seemed to work.

Bernard
Sharnbrook
UK

Sponsored Links
no, the extension was done in two halves. The first half left one air brick uncovered, and when they did the second half no ducting was put in the floor.

i could cut a big slot in the floor to put a duct in, but it would quite a big job and would make a real mess of what appears to be a well laid floor (in the original part of the extension). The extension has a flat roof, so the other option is to put a duct through the old outside wall and up through the flat roof.

there doesn't appear to be a damp problem, but obviously there will be stagnant air in this sub floor area. The front of the house is well ventilated, so i was hopeing that might be some form of low powered fan on the market that could be installed to move the air around under the floor.
noseall said:
the extension builders should have ducted the existing air brick vents to the new outside wall. are there any air bricks in the new extension?

nice idea. Did you get any noticeable flow?

bernardgreen said:
I suggested a solution to this in a renovated house in Germany where only one wall could be fitted with air bricks below floor level.

Two 60mm pipes went vertical up from the under ground floor void through to the roof space. On the ground floor they were chromed steel tubes supporting shelving and in the upper floor cheap plastic hidden in the fitted wardrobes.

Passing through a warm living room the steel pipes were warm and this provided a small amount of convection flow.

Seemed to work.

Bernard
Sharnbrook
UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back