condensation

Sponsored Links
oilman, My apologies. I misread your comments.

What I wanted to highlight was that (assuming that you are in the camp that think rising damp does exist) rising damp cannot be caused by condensation. I misread and thought that is what you were suggesting.

Always happy to accept my mistakes. :)

....assuming that you are in the camp that think rising damp does exist....

What!?!? believe in something that doesn't exist? :LOL:

What I didn't put clearly is the air being higher RH nearer the ground as it's cooler, makes the walls very slightly damper, and with the salts in the wall aiding conduction, "damp surveyor" comes along with electric moisture meter (just like my wood ones), sticks probes in wall and exclaims "ooh, you've got rising damp here" when it's nothing of the sort.

Sorry, I know this is your field and it's nothing new, but if I've got it wrong please let me know.

I have the view that most of todays damp would not exist if it were not for all the heat "saving" devices like draught proofing.

oilman,
In term of diagnoses of the causes of damp I think the fundemental problem is that it is too few surveyors are capable of, and too few clients are prepared to pay for, proper investigation.

Sometimes it very simple to diagnose the cause, the cause being readily apparent. However, much of the time those obvious solutions fail (even if they improve things a bit). I am certain that you will find people posting here who have had a persistent or re-occuring problem that they have never been able to cure. However, it is entirely posible to diagnose and cure almost all damp problems given the right equipment, knowledge, time and strategy.

The BRE published a method for diagnosing the causes of damp which is perfectly sound (BRE Good Repair Guide 33). It has also published more specific guidance on the diagnoses and cure of particular problems including penetrating damp, rising damp, condensation and leaks from service pipes. All these things have particular tests that can be carried out with appropriate equipment and can give pretty conclusive answers.

It is certainly true that one cannot positively diagnose rising damp (or any other cause) with an electrical resistivity meter (protimeter) alone. However, you can get a definitive answer with a speedy moisture meter (which costs about £800 and involves taking core samples from the walls). I cannot say there is no such thing as rising damp (scientifically the jury is still out on that one), but I can say that I have never seen it. I have seen many other things diagnosed as rising damp.

It is true that improved insulation has caused many problems with condensation in older buildings which were not designed to be insulated, but the fact is that we live in the 21st century and people don't want to live in draughty homes. We also have environmental problems and need to save energy. So even if draft proofing is a problem the answer is not to condemn draught proofing but to design energy saving measures in a way that doesn't cause these problems. I do it all the time.

Sponsored Links
Hi had simular prob as you in bungalow . Thought it was very strange .always condensation on windows(double glazed) etc. specially bedrooms in morning condensing hot breath etc . also fousty damp smell in most of the house .Was driving us crazy thought moisture was penetrating through brickwork and seeping into concrete sub base of house then smell of damp etc. pervading whole house ..................at least that was what i thought ............. THE CURE
Whilst extending into the loft seen that there was no ventilation to the loft at all. The tops of the walls of the bungalow were concrete blocked right up to the roof tiles all the way round the house. I took all this away right around the house , bl**dy awkward and messy ,(i used an electric chipping hammer ) and fitted continuos soffit vents . voila ! The house or rather bungalow smells sweet as a nut . theres no condensation on the windows anymore , and the house doesnt smell or feel "damp".
I have read all the comments and theories about condensation ,damp rising damp and all that and interesting as the debate is thought i would give a practical example of someone who has experienced the same problem as grubba and found not only the cause of the problem but found a cheap and effective solution also .
Get in you loft grubba and look right under the tops of the eaves and tell us what you see Is it all bricked up to the roof tiles or is your insulation in the loft blocking any ventilation gaps.

I would be interested to know what your findings are and my guess is you prob dont need the de-humidifier at all the prob and solution are in front of your eyes - depending on where you are looking at the time .
Hope you find this contribution useful and thanks to all the contributors to this forum that have helped me with my queries

NIGELSZ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back