Water condensation problems in the winter

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a first floor flat - we have single glazed windows
Every winter, we get water collecting around all of the windows

Someone said on double glazed windows, you have a small devise that puts holes in that you can slide left and right - this gives a small airflow that then stops the condensation problem

For a single glazed window, how do I stop the problem??

It makes the whole place look really really bad :(
Otherwise it looks lovely!

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
I think you misunderstand the problem, lack of ventilation leads to condensation, new double glazed units have a trickle vent to help alleviate condensation but it by no means cures the problem, single glazing is more prone to condensation as it is usually colder than double glazing, so moisture condenses easily.
You should a mechanical vented kitchen and bathroom [extractor fans] and at least one permanently open vent in each room or an open chimney depending on age of house.
Though if you dry washing in the house or don't use fans at every opportunity then it's a pointless exercise.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies
seems as though we have a losing battle :(
come every winter, the flat turns horrible and moldy

one of the causes (which i didn't realise before): hanging clothes indoors

are the damn catcher things any good?
i did some searching and saw some people talking about them
they cost just over £5 each
if any good, how long do they last? are they resuable??

thanks

no

you have to get the water outside your home. A washing line in the garden, or a vented tumble drier will do it.

otherwise, have you got an extractor fan in your bathroom, and does it work?

You will never ever prevent condensation on single glazed windows
What we used to do - in our unheated 1950`s council house - was let the ice form on the inside of the windows , then scrape it off and brush it into a dustpan . That was in the winter of `63 - there`s another one like that coming this year :mrgreen:

We used to jump out of bed to be the first to draw pictures in the ice:cool:

No central heating or DG in the good 'ole days. And we were no worse off for it either

if this is a rented flat, or you are not in a position to add double glazing or Secondary Glazing (which can be a DIY job), you might consider fitting one of the DIY Plastic Film treatments, which will only last one year, but are quite cheap and will prevent heat loss and condensation nearly as well as DG. If the old window frames are slightly gappy, this will allow the space to ventilate to the outside, which will prevent condensation or damp inside the airspace.

If you have casement windows, you can apply the film to the casement so that it can still be opened for ventilation (which is essential)

The plastic film adhesives stick best to very clean paintwork, preferably fairly new and glossy.

examples

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/210014

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-glazing-film-tape-kit/98002?_requestid=111060

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insula...econdary-Glazing-Film-10908059?skuId=11398755

there should be some at your DIY shed or hardware shop.

Boy, that's an expensive cloth.

Which does just as good a job for £50+ less :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back