Condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see pic below. Large old house that hasn't been heated or lived in for a long time. Inside humidity around 80%. Ground level outside is a bit higher than floor level which may explain some of the lower damp.

20190120_190848.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes concrete.

The pointing on those outside walls was bad, have been redone & finished in last couple of days. However today's rain has made that section damp again (it's had that damp patch for a long time while knackered pointing was in place).

Do you own the house?

Take some more photos showing the gutter, downpipes, gullies, and puddles around that wet wall.

Show us the radiator pipes next to that wet patch.

Lift the carpet inside and see if the floor is wet.

What is on the other side of the wet walls, especially at the point where the wet is highest?

To me it has the look of a wall that was previously wet, and was hacked off and replastered using a method to hide the wet patch, but without curing the source of water.

When are you going to dig up the ground against the wall?

Sponsored Links
Yes, owner.

Guttering etc all recently been replaced.

Will do some more photos in the morning. This is a radiator nearby, pipes for it come from other side of the room. Will check floor.

Other side of wall is nothing really, public footpath and gravel footpath on property, both with ground levels a bit too high, probably up to same level as where that socket is. Going to be lowering gravel footpath with French drain soon, public footpath not sure what can be done.

Could it have been water penetration from failed pointing and now that the wall has previously been wet it's absorbing moisture from the air? Hygroscopic salts in the plaster or something?

unlikely

to have that much water, so high up the wall, there must be a source of water. It's often a pipe.

You've shown us a corner, with water in both walls. Is the path outside both walls? Not a kitchen or bathroom? Maybe a downpipe?

This is the outside of the wall. The gate is no longer there and it's all been repointed. Downpipe/guttering didn't leak there.

As far as I'm aware there's no pipe in that wall. The damp only comes up when we have rain. If there's no rain for a week it starts to dry out.

20190121_073715.jpg

I don't think there is one? Is always drained onto the surface and into a road drain a few yards down.

always drained onto the surface

Then most likely some of the rain water is finding its way between the edge of the footpath and the wall of the house. Often made worse when the foot path is re-surfaced which can leave the surface higher than it was before.

One thing to try is the cut the diwn pipe about a foot from the ground and fit a 45 deg elbow so the water is thrown away from the wall and lands on the footpath away from the wall.

Why the separate wet patch further up the wall though, surely water coming in from the ground wouldn't end up this far up, with a dry patch in between?

Cold humid conditions make damp patches stand out more, it will take months for the wall to dry, if guttering etc needed replacement then probably had years of rainwater against the wall washing out pointing and getting thru.

in the internal pic, the return wall looks closer to the windowframe that, on the external pic, the corner of the building looks.

Is there anything we can't see, such as a chimneybreast or cupboard?

in the internal pic, the return wall looks closer to the windowframe that, on the external pic, the corner of the building looks.

Is there anything we can't see, such as a chimneybreast or cupboard?

It's probably just where the solid walls are so thick, they are a good 12-18 inches. On the right in the internal picture there's a fireplace with a flue leading up in the opposite direction.

Cold humid conditions make damp patches stand out more, it will take months for the wall to dry, if guttering etc needed replacement then probably had years of rainwater against the wall washing out pointing and getting thru.

I think this may well be the case. As the pointing has only just been done I've orovapro been a bit hasty in posting. I'll be hacking all that plaster off at some point anyway to insulate the walls, once it's off I'll give it a few months to dry out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back