Condenser Dryer with vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to replace my condenser dryer with something new. I'm cautious and want something with an external vent to get rid of heat. The utility room is pretty small and want to avoid things overheating. The dryer will be under a worktop with a side panel so enclosed.

...but I would also like something with heat pump technology to save on energy but think these only come as condenser dryers.

Is there any outlet on the back of condenser dryer that can be fitted to an external vent?

My only other thought is whether I fit a small extractor fan behind the dryer that simply sucks the air away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A condenser tumble dryer does not vent but stores moisture removed from the hot air drying the clothes. Heat pump technology works on the same basis but more efficiently because it re heats the hot air after extracting the moisture from it, so the drying process is more efficient and uses less heat.

There is no need to vent in the way you describe, the important practical measure is to ensure regular cleaning of the fluff filter and leave a few inches of space behind the machine for the circulation of air

Blup

As above you seem to be confusing the various types of dryer.

Vented:
All the warm air is immediately evacuated via a vent.

Pros: Quicker drying. Cheaper Machines, Less parts to fail and/or break
Cons: Inefficient in terms of energy use (and therefore cost) at point of use.

Condenser: These are usually for areas that vented dryers can't be fitted, (no external wall etc). The warm water vapour is condensed and the water is pumped to a storage tank. Some have the option of a drainage hose which you connect to a drain.

Pros: Can be fitted anywhere.

Cons: Usually take longer to dry clothes.
Can be a bit more expensive than a standard vented type.
Despite condensing the water and storing it, humid air still often escapes which can make the room in which it is being used become a bit stuffy and humid. A extractor fan in the room may be needed to reduce this issue.
Need more maintenance to ensure the condenser stays clean.
More parts to go wrong, pump etc.
Normally just as energy intensive and costly to use as a standard vented dryer.

Heat Pump: These operate on a similar principle to Condenser dryers. However the condenser is usually integrated with a heat pump. This means that the heat is extracted from the condensed water and used to heat the drum. Water will still collect in a tank or again, some have a drain hose option meaning you do not have to manually empty it.

Pros: Most energy efficient machines at point of use. Compared to a standard condenser or vented machine. They should used about 1/3 of the energy). Do not seem to have the humid air leak issues of Condenser dryers.
Can be fitted anywhere.

Cons: Expensive. Well regarded brands can be very expensive.
Usually take twice as long to dry clothes (despite still using 1/3 of the energy of a normal dryer).
More maintenance to ensure the filters are kept clean. Especially the one protecting the condenser/heat pump.
More complicated and therefore more to go wrong. May be less reliable in the long term. Performance may be affected by other factors e.g If the water contains too much fabric softner from the wash for example. This can often lead to a film building up on the condenser, reducing performance.
May require the manual emptying of a tank unless the drain hose is used.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back