Conduit earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bit of a novice about these things so any help would be appreciated.
I have come across sockets earthed only by the conduit they screw on to; no earth connection lead to the socket earth terminal, the mounting screws connect to the conduit and provide the earth. They pass a loop test with flying colours but is this ok? Similarly class 1 lights are earthed in the same manner.

Sponsored Links
Yep it's fine to use steel conduit or metal trunking as the cpc (cpc fly lead from backbox to socket earth terminal is required).
You need to check all connections are sound & rust free along the length + continuity test.

Yeah it's an outdated way of doing things, as the joints in the conduit can become loose / corrode over time and the earth can fail as a result.

These days a seperate CPC is also drawn through the conduit to ensure earth continuity, but providing it all passes the loop tests and continuity tests then it is fine.

I belive (never used one myself always draw in a cpc) a test unit called a clair tester is or was used to test conduit continuity if used as a cpc ?
RF is a knowledgable chap so is sure to know :D

Sponsored Links
But is he old enough like ancient little me? :LOL:

(seem to be getting a bit of stick lately for my age)

I was only born in 1966 you know, not 1866.....

securespark said:
But is he old enough like ancient little me? :LOL:

(seem to be getting a bit of stick lately for my age)

I was only born in 1966 you know, not 1866.....

Only a year older than me securespark.........so no stick about age from me :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back