Conduit for in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the standard/regulation for conduit in plaster?

Basically what I'm asking is what I should be buying?
I know it's metal but does it matter about shape, size fully enclosed...

Sponsored Links
There is none.

You may use capping, plastic or metal, or oval conduit if you want.
Capping is just for holding the cable(s) in place and, some say, protection from demon plasterers.

I honestly thought there would be some regulation in place.
So if I really wanted to I could plaster over the cables them self?

It's brick wall if that makes any difference?

Sponsored Links
I honestly thought there would be some regulation in place.
There are, if the cables aren't going to be in recognised zones. Will they be?

So if I really wanted to I could plaster over the cables them self?
Not if the cables aren't going to be in recognised zones. Will they be?

It's brick wall if that makes any difference?
No.

Looks like I will be fine.

Installing an isolator switch above the bathroom. Which may not be a reconised zone but seen it loads up here, shame I only need about 30-50cm of conduit for it.
Conduit for my own peace of my mind.

Installing an isolator switch above the bathroom.
Above it?

In the room, or loft space, above the bathroom?

Which may not be a reconised zone
Why? Which direction will the cable(s) to/from the switch take?

Conduit for my own peace of my mind.
That's easy to answer - 20mm round steel conduit, e.g. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/index.html (other suppliers are available).

Don't forget that you'll need a stock & die to thread the end(s), and a pipe vice will be jolly useful to hold the conduit while you're threading it.

Above it?

In the room, or loft space, above the bathroom?

Why? Which direction will the cable(s) to/from the switch take?

That's easy to answer - 20mm round steel conduit, e.g. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/index.html (other suppliers are available).

Don't forget that you'll need a stock & die to thread the end(s), and a pipe vice will be jolly useful to hold the conduit while you're threading it.

Sorry lack of typing put my whole answer. Isolator switch above the door.

Because it's not a recognised zone already although following a vertical route?

If the isolator is in line with the cable vertically or horizontally then you have created a safe zone.

So, shall I put cable in conduit or not?...

What do the pro's/more experienced professionals recommend?

So, shall I put cable in conduit or not?
My preference is to use conduit (the white oval type), taking care to get the end into the box - though that adds work, especially for larger sizes. That way there is never any problem should you wish to replace the cable in the future.
Most stop the conduit short of the box, and as it's generally not directly inline with a hole (which needs to have a grommet), the cable needs to do a bit of a dogleg between teh conduit and box hole.
You can plaster directly over the cables (assuming PVC T&E or 3C&E) which are just held in place with clips, but should the cable ever get damaged then you have to hack it out and make good afterwards.

My preference is to use conduit (the white oval type), taking care to get the end into the box - though that adds work, especially for larger sizes. That way there is never any problem should you wish to replace the cable in the future.
Most stop the conduit short of the box, and as it's generally not directly inline with a hole (which needs to have a grommet), the cable needs to do a bit of a dogleg between teh conduit and box hole.
You can plaster directly over the cables (assuming PVC T&E or 3C&E) which are just held in place with clips, but should the cable ever get damaged then you have to hack it out and make good afterwards.

Cheers.
When you say white oval this is PVC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back