Confirmation on advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My mate posted on Facebook about some disco lights he was repairing and received a 240V shock while doing so.

From what I've heard one of the internal PCBs was poorly mounted and fell onto the case, causing it to become live. However, in the photos the case has an earth connection, which should have caused the fuse to blow instantly.

Is my advice there correct? My thinking is that there is a major problem with the earthing somewhere in the shop!

Colin C

Sponsored Links
I've only read your post and not looked at the image, but yes, if the fitting is class I and has an earth connection to the case, then it is unlikely that a severe shock should have been received. The touch voltage on the casing should have been limited to a maximum 50v. This does not mean the fuse/breaker protecting the circuit would cut the power instantly, mind.

There could be many issues, from the fixed wiring to incorrectly wired plug to break in the flex to the fitting. If your friend does this sort of work for a living then he's a fool not to at least have an RCD protecting the circuit, or better yet, work through an isolation transformer. Either of these can be achieved without the need to update the entire installation for the sake of providing a couple of sockets on the test bench.

Sponsored Links
If your friend does this sort of work for a living then he's a fool not to at least have an RCD protecting the circuit, or better yet, work through an isolation transformer.
He's a fool anyway.

Firstly for working live, and secondly by doing that sort of work in the first place when he clearly doesn't understand electrics.

Hi all

My mate posted on Facebook about some disco lights he was repairing and received a 240V shock while doing so.
While posting? Was it from the keyboard? I don't think so, especially if a battery one. :LOL:

Regards

Maybe he's wrong and didn't actually get a mains shock like he thinks he did?

Could've been static, could have been as a result of direct contact, who knows, but it's unlikely RCD protection would have made much if any difference at all here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back