Conflicting advice on parquet sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have laid a herrinbone floor of about 50 sq yd and I am about to start sanding. The machines arrive friday. The blocks are 80 year old reclaimed maple and are in a bit of a mess.

I will be using a 10" continuous belt, edger and corner sander and then a trio for the final go. I will finish with hard waxoil.

I've been researching for a while and the advice seems to be sand across and then down with each grade of paper.

The company I am renting the machines from are saying that each pass should be on the diagonals.

Which is best?

Thanks.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy
You should never sand so as to go directly across the grain, so with block flooring always approach it at 45 degrees to the lay of the blocks.
On your next sand paper grade (or a second pass on the same grit) then do it at 90 degrees to the first pass (still at 45 degrees to the blocks).

Aim to finish the belt and edger sanding at around 100 or 120 grit, then drop down to 80 grit with the Trio, finishing on a 120 or 150 grit with the Trio.

Hope that all makes sense.

TT

That makes more sense than diagonal sanding where I would always be going across the grain of 50% of the blocks.

So I should take the belt sanding to 120 grit and then go back to 80 with the trio and work back up to 120 again?

I gather I should go no higher than 120 because I'm finishing with hard waxoil.

Thanks for the advice. Really looking forward to seeing the floor after thw first few passes.

Andy.

Specially with the Trio Sander, don't end with a very fine grit. Due to the speed and the three disk this will close the surface too much for the oil to be absorbed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks WYL
I plan on going no higher than 120 - will that be ok with the Trio?

The hire company claims the machines are "virtually dust free" Will I need a mask/goggles? What about ear defenders?

I would have a close look at the floor after you've used 100 with the Trio

Never harms to wear protective kit

I would have a close look at the floor after you've used 100 with the Trio

This may sound silly, but what would I look for?

Should I just go no higher than 100 with all sandings?

Never harms to wear protective kit
That's true. would you suggest sealing up doorways to protect the rest of the house or will shut doors be enough?

If it feels very smooth - silky - after the 100 grit turn, don't go higher. If is still feels slightly rough, use 120.

Closing the doors will be enough in most cases.

ok, last question.... probably.

should I stop the belt sanding at 100? or do I go to 120 with the belt and then do 80 then 100 with the Trio.

I wish I could afford to pay an expert to come and do it!

If you are getting a Trio sander in, stop belt sanding at 100 (the last finishing sanding round will go much better with a Trio than with 120 on belt)

Thanks all for the advice. The job is done.

The machine hire place didn't supply 100 grit.
24, 40, 60 and 120 for the belt and edger.

Trio had 40, 80 and 120

So I went up to 120 on the belt and edger and then back to 80 then 120 on the trio.

The floor at this point was silky smooth.

After 2 coats of Fiddes hard wax oil, the floor looks great (apart from a couple of streaky bits) but the floor feels rather rough now.

I applied the wax oil with a toblerone shaped pad. I did not buff because the suppliers said there was no need.

Have I done something wrong?

Wished you mentioned Fiddes before, not one of our favourite brands to be honest.

How long did you leave between the two coats?

oh dear!

1st coat finished at 9:40 pm Sunday. Next coat started at 3am Monday. 1st coat felt dry.

wow, late night!

You at least didn't leave too long between the two coats. Is the second coat still tacky? What's the room temperature?
The oil needs to dry/cure for a while (so don't go putting rugs on it yet - only after 10 days).

If is still feels rough tomorrow morning, buff over it - don't add a third coat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back