Confused by Lighting Circuit Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, I am getting an electrician to put this right and I'm not going to work on the circuit, but I would like to understand what is going on, especially so I don't get any wool pulled over my eyes. Basically we have a lighting circuit with incomplete earthing (electrician says continuity broken at some point, most likely between hall and landing). As I want to fit metal fittings, I need to get this sorted.

I find socket circuits easier to understand because they're a simple 3 wires in, 3 wires out, with all colours matching up. Lighting circuits seem to be far more complicated, with colours that should mean neutral looking like they're actually linking to live, "common" terminals, a switch in the hall that controls the landing but not vice versa, loads of junction boxes. I just can't get my head around it.

Here is an overview of the hall/ landing circuit from what I can make out:

- 2 switches in hall on one switch plate, with two cables coming from ceiling into back box:

- 1 switch for hall light has twin red and black with snipped off earth. Red goes to "common" and black is sleeved red and goes to L1. Then there is a red fly-lead from the common on the hall switch to the common on the landing switch (in the same switch unit).
- 1 switch for landing light that has a twin red and black without earth, with red feeding L1 and black (sleeved red) feeding L2.

1 switch in landing:

- 1 twin red and black with snipped off earth cable comes up from the floor and feed L1 and L2. Then a SINGLE red cable comes down from the loft to feed the common. Tracing this single red cable it goes up to a junction box in the loft, which has an onward connection to the landing light and the lighting circuit in the loft. It also has a single earth feeding in from somewhere. NB. The snipped off earths were tested and do not go anywhere.

Does this make sense? Electricians are all wanting to charge by the hour rather than quote (without even looking at it), which I can understand but it's a bit like a blank cheque. Other lights on the same circuit are earthed in the switch and light fitting, with continuity tested between the two, so the break in the circuit must be with this hall/landing set up. If I could find a wiring diagram that explains how the typical hall/landing should be (2 way downstairs, 1 upstairs) I might be able to understand.

Sponsored Links

Yes, it is obviously at least part of the problem. I'm confused about the single red cable going from the landing switch to the loft as well though. How does one single live cable connect to the landing light, yet the landing light has several cables connected, including one sleeved as earth?! It all works, I just want to understand how.

Sponsored Links
can you draw us a picture? it's hard to read it all from your description.

If you have different circuits for downstairs and upstairs lights, that is what's known as a "borrowed neutral" the live comes from downstairs and the neutral from upstairs. If both on the same circuit it doesn't matter.

It would be good if this could be rectified, but may entail some rewiring.

Yes, it is obviously at least part of the problem. I'm confused about the single red cable going from the landing switch to the loft as well though. How does one single live cable connect to the landing light, yet the landing light has several cables connected, including one sleeved as earth?! It all works, I just want to understand how.

To clarify other things said, the single red will feed the landing the light. The other wires at the landing light will be the neutrals (probably on a seperate circuit), and may also contain permanent lives needed for the other rooms upstairs.

Assuming you have two or more lighting circuits, this 'shared' neutral is not ideal, though common in older houses.

All the snipped earths need joining together.

If possible, your electrician needs to eliminate the shared or borrowed neutral, for one reason it's not permitted now, also it makes adding RCD protection problematic.

If possible, your electrician needs to eliminate the shared or borrowed neutral, for one reason it's not permitted now, also it makes adding RCD protection problematic.
The reason it's not permitted is because it's dangerous because it means your have to isolate both circuits in order to work on either.

And moreover it is a very insidious danger. You can go through all your "safe isolation" procedures and everything seems to be dead. Then you disconnect the shared neutral conductor and suddenly it becomes live.

I'm not sure it can be a shared neutral if that can still be live with the circuit off. I have had this particular lighting circuit off alone and changed the switches over without being electrocuted. The whole upstairs lighting is on the same circuit, and the hall light is also on this circuit. A separate circuit covers the rest of downstairs.

I'm planning to clear out the loft so I'm not paying the electrician £40 an hour to move boxes around, so I'll try to get a better look. It really bugs me when I can't at least get a vague understanding of something.

changed the switches over without being electrocuted

To be electrocuted ( or just to get a shock ) there has to be two points of contact to the body. If standing on a dry carpet you could touch a Live wire ( or a Neutral pulled up to Live ) and not feel a thing. But if at the same time some part of you touched anything earthed, like the back box of the switch or a radiator then you would have two points of contact and you would receive a shock.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TEST THAT Some carpets are slightly conductive due to them having being treated with anti static material.

The whole upstairs lighting is on the same circuit, and the hall light is also on this circuit. A separate circuit covers the rest of downstairs.
If that is the case then it is alright.

I'm planning to clear out the loft so I'm not paying the electrician £40 an hour to move boxes around,
That's good because we HATE doing it.

so I'll try to get a better look. It really bugs me when I can't at least get a vague understanding of something.
Study the circuitry, then.
https://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/index.cs4

I'm not sure a diagram of what you can see will help. We would need a diagram of the consumer unit wiring.

I will try to do a diagram to show what I can see.

I still can't understand the single live from landing switch to loft. It can't be borrowing a neutral since there is only 1 circuit in the loft. How can it work without a neutral?

I still can't understand the single live from landing switch to loft. It can't be borrowing a neutral since there is only 1 circuit in the loft. How can it work without a neutral?
As you suggest, no circuit can function without a neutral. You must be missing something somewhere.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back