Confused by Wiring on Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone,

I have a light and extractor fan switch on the entrance to my bathroom which I am attempting to replace. One switch controls light the other the extractor fan. I have attached a link to a diagram of what I have on the back of the existing wiring and the configuration of the new switch. All of the light switches in stores that I have seen have this same layout. I was hoping to just swap one cover out for a new one but the configuration is toally different - house is around 17 years old. My problem is understanding what wire goes where... I have labelled the wires on the top diagram A, B, C, etc. and would appreciate some help and advice as to what goes where. The bottom half of the diagram shows the rear of the new switch. Hope someone can help.

lights.png

Also all wiring is red!

thanks,
Richard

Sponsored Links
The terminals are, actually, the same, if you take the right-hand switch on your new switch and mentally rotate it through 180 degrees.

Common is the same on all switches for AED; use the '1 way' terminal on each new switch for B and C respectively.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I think I understand but I thought a diagram is better than a shock...

So like this?

lights2.png

E is required to link the A and D wires

One of them is bringing power to the switches and the other is taking power on to other switches. Without it those other switches will have no power and their lights will not work.

Sponsored Links
I take its that B or C dictate which item is switched on either light or extractor - so if they ended up on different switches I could swap these over?

Thanks to everyone who posted and solved this for me.

Yes B and C are the supplies to the light and the fan. If the switches are the 'wrong way around' B and C can be swapped.

I'm confident that I can tackle this - Many thanks for the help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back