Confused, not dazed but definitely confused.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Need some advice if you don't mind.

I had to change an old radiator in our kitchen due to it leaking. So on Wednesday, I dfained the system and fitted a nice new Kudox double 600x1200 with a danfoss ras c2 TRV.

Refilled and boiler kicked in after bleeding fully. Now having some issues.

We are in Scotland so might not come as a shock its sll on 8mm microbore. Sytem is 8 radiators, 4 up and (yep you guessed it), 4 down.

From closest the boiler we have; upstairs
1. Towel rad in bathroom
2. 500x500 in son's room
3. 500 x 500 in spare room
4. 300 x 1100 in main bedroom
Downstairs
5. 600 x 1200 in hall
6. 600 x 1200 (new) in kitchen
7. 700 x 1100 in livingroom
8. 500 x 1000 in spare room

1, 2, 3, 5 and 8 are all hot. 1, 2 and 3 are very hot.

4, 6 and 7 are merely warm and are cold at the bottom.

Now sludge has been suggested but my confusion there is that the kitchen rad is only fitted 2 days. Living room only 2 weeks old and bedroom less than a year. So could it build up so fast?

I have put Sentinel X400 in via the kitchen rad and been running it but no real joy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried balancing system, ie throttle down the hot radiators on the lockshield? Could be air locks...

And do the others get hot? Or try turning all the rads off apart from one of the cold ones, if that gets hot there's a circulation problem, sludge or air

Sponsored Links
It didnt really make much diff. Will try the latter suggestion tomorrow.

Any tips if its air? Or sludge for that matter?

If its air, you will need to shut all radiators, then with the boiler/pump running open one rad and vent into bucket until it's hot, then close and repeat on other radiators.

If it's sludge, your need a powerflush of the system

Depends on how it's installed, if your near Edinburgh, get hold of Ryan from g.d mills plumbing and heating... highly recommended

It's a common problem when draining down. If there's an f&e and this is full of crud, it can pull that down through the pipework, as well as any sludge that is otherwise settled during normal circulation. Get a filter installed if/when you have it flushed.

If its air, you will need to shut all radiators, then with the boiler/pump running open one rad and vent into bucket until it's hot, then close and repeat on other radiators.

If it's sludge, your need a powerflush of the system

Question on this, if I isolate a rad and disconnect it, when I open the lock shield on the return side should I get a flow of water or is that only expected on the inlet side?

You should get water from both, unless one at a time which can be down to vacuum.

Blockages/airlocks can be on either flow or return or both.

Closing down other rads and running the system will hopefully use pump pressure to clear the air/blockage.

If blocked, it can sometimes take an age to get the blockage broken down and moving, especially through small bore waterways (rad valves etc). And sometimes it needs the more powerful pumping that a powerflush provides.

I'd try focusing your pump on one run/rad at a time and then maybe drain that circuit before proceeding to the next. Also make sure your f&e is cleaned out.

Cheers. Its vented. F&E tank didnt look overly dirty when I drained it. Not to say it wasnt dirty enough to cause an issue though. Got heat at all inlets so does logic dictate the issue is on the return side(s)?

Could well be. You've gotta get it all moving.
Focus the pump on each individual rad.

Again, the benefit of a flushing machine is that you can (and do) reverse the flow throughout the process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back