Confused over padstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My SE has specified various sized padstones for the numerous beams to be installed as part of an extension I am having built. None of which seem standard sizes I may add.

However I am confused over how these are to be installed and wonder if anyone can enlighten me as to how these are supposed to be installed.

As an example the SE for this bearing has specified a 300x200x215 padstone, however no matter how I position it on the drawing it bridges the cavity and doesnt look correct.

Is this how it is supposed to be?

Thanks...

Padstone.PNG

Sponsored Links
I will drop him an email tomorrow. I thought I may have misunderstood something hence doing some searching, but doesn't sound like I am.

Not a proper SE by the sounds of it. Put figures into a program and gave you results that have no bearing (lol) to the real world.

Sponsored Links
SE responded and changed to 500x100x215.

Not had much luck with engineers and architects for this project, too many mistakes I'm spotting that the average Joe wouldn't. Just hope the builder is better!

Is that a standard size? I thought it would be a 440mm.

I doubt it, none of the stones he's specified seem standard. I'll leave that to the builder and inspector to work out however. If I need to go back to him and ask for standard sizes I'll do so at the time.

Thanks. That's useful. I guess the next largest standard size to what he has specified will be sufficient. It's probably what he would do anyway.

Sometimes standard sizes are either just too small or just too big for the load at the bearing.
A useful trick in this case is to use standard pre-cast reinforced concrete lintels. These are 100 wide and can be obtained 140 deep and 215 deep, and can be cut to any required length by using a disc cutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back