SE padstones instructions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Doing my first wall knock through since building a workshop and work has stopped due to padstone.

Our SE has written:
Min 500 x 100mm Padstone bridge across cut cavity in 7n block at 450mm vertical cr

And 400 x 100mm on the other side.

The pier itself is only 270mm which the builder has cut a standard padstone to and BI wrote to the SE.

Now changed to 270mm x 200mm padstone but difficult to get this size and has said it can be built using engineering bricks.

What are the options? Did he expect the builder to cast the padstone?

Builder states has done many this way and padstone cannot be bigger that wall, not sure what 500mm is for.

Appreciate any advice

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230822_083100_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230822_083100_Drive.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Would need some images to make sense of this I think.

Casting padstones is not unknown but certainly zero reason for a padstone to be larger than a supporting wall.

On a 1900 opening, I would be VERY surprised if a 200x200x140 standard pad wasn't more than enough.

What's the situation there. Is that an external opening?

Sponsored Links
No internal, the I have know clue. The builder will do it in engineering bricks.

Just wanted some thoughts how the 500mm x 100mm would be achieved

The SE changed it in the end and was built using engineering bricks. I would have preferred padstones.

Thanks for the replies

I’ve had the same where the BCO has said engineering bricks are fine despite a padstone being spec’d, don’t see a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back