Installing RSJ - Padstone Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, installing an RSJ this weekend, have had the SE to to all calculations. I have a question relating to a padstone. The wall i am removing is single course between dining room and lounge supporting joists. The SE has said 9" pier on each side. He has suggested a 9" x 4" x 6" padsdtone. They all seem to be 215x215x102mm, 440x140x215mm,440x140x102mm. Is there one the exact size I need or do I have to cut a larger one down? or am I better using a lintel and cutting this down?

When I come to pack between the RSJ and padstone is slate ok to use or is there a better packing material?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Found a merchant who sells 215x140x102 padstones so I assume this should be right size?

As long as the slate can cope with the same bearing stress as the padstone was designed for.

IMO, its not good practice to pack the beam up, but rather put the padstone in at the correct height.

100mm wide padstones are available. Don't try and cut a thicker one down - use a lintel or in most cases, solid blue bricks in 3:1 will do in a domestic job

Sponsored Links
as woodster says, once you have the beam located then screw a pair of acros under each end and lay the padstones on a bed of mortar.

you can force mortar under the padstone so that it is pressed snug against the beam.

take the props out after the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back