confused re guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1902 house with cast guttering that needs replacing. I would like to replace with cast as I think it lasts longer and looks better but people are trying to persuade me to use, ' cast look a like' plastic or aluminium.

Am I right in thinking that coated aluminium only last 30-35 years and plastic maybe less.
The rear of the house is very difficult to access due to being on a slope so I do not want to have to repeat the guttering renewal for a very long time.
Any thoughts re which material would suit me best :confused:
thanks

Sponsored Links
Cast iron if fitted correctly will lasts for years but it's expensive than plastic. I have 22yrs old coated aluminium windows and it started to sign of wear & tear (pitted).

Another one which not many people are aware of is Copper Gutter 100+ years life :!:

Sponsored Links
I have just fitted some Alumasc, powder coated, cast aluminum to look like the original Ogee cast iron. Expensive at £20/metre, but it will be there for a long time. I have overcoated the original finish with linseed paint.

Having seen the coppagutta site, I will fit that somewhere else on the building. It looks fantastic stuff, unless some blasted itinerate turns up with his Transit pickup whan I'm out. :evil:

From a material point of view cast iron is not a good option for longeviety / cost effectiveness. I would probably go for a powder coated / anodised aluminium gutter.

agree with the guys. cast iron tends to rot from the back first.

this is the least accessible part of the gutter and is subject to little maintenance. rust loves oxygen, so i guess the lack of paint and the abundance of water is a recipe for rust.

you would have to remove the entire gutter for a re-paint every 5 years in order to stave off corrosion. shame really, cast iron looks good and is very tough.

i believe "Glynwed" do a cast iron range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back