Confusing wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Confusing wiring

Can somebody please help me with what is happening with these 2 switches. I am wanting to replace these 2 switches with 2 new 2 gang (2 switches on one plate) switches and the wiring and colour coding makes no sense. 4 Lighting circuits all with multiple lights.

Many Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
OK.

Far bottom left - that red and black is a live strapper pair to another switch. I should be right in assuming that switch is paired with another that controls the same light.

The top red wire (short link one) is the permenant live to the switch. The switched live is taken off at the other switch elsewhere in the room/house.

The right switch on the left plate is a single way controlled light - there is no other switch that controls the same light. The reds there are permenant live and the black is switched live.

Now, the right plate is a little more tricky. If I assume the top middle terminal is empty (it must be to work right), red is permenant live throughout, and the blue and yellow are switched lives to two switches. Again, these switches are on their own, singly controlling two lights on their own.

You wont go wrong, if you remember that for each switch there is a triangle of terminls on the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back