Connect 2 ovens and 2 hobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a 6mm cooker circuit protected by a 32a fuse connected to a existing electric oven (the hob is gas). I want to remove this and connect 2 ovens and 2 hobs (all electric). The ovens are 3200w and the hobs 6000w. Do I have to run a separate supply from the main CU for each oven/hob combination (ie use existing for one combination and new for the other with 32a trip) or can I split the existing supply after the cooker switch and install a local fused CU (near the ovens/hobs) feeding each combination from the single supply. If the latter would I need 2 32a in the new CU. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks KP

Sponsored Links
That is a large electrical load for a domestic property. If everything was on at the same time then you are looking at 80 amps. With ovens/hobs you can apply diversity factors so it will probably be OK but I assume that if you have two ovens/hobs then you will need to use them at the same time?

You absolutely will need to run at least two separate supplies. But this is a job for a registered electrician. There is much more to consider.

Thanks for that. pretty much as I thought. I have an electrician coming to look at it next week. He said over the phone there could be a possibility of adding another CU from the supply but separate from the existing one just to power the cookers/hobs. Is this a possibility?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. pretty much as I thought. I have an electrician coming to look at it next week. He said over the phone there could be a possibility of adding another CU from the supply but separate from the existing one just to power the cookers/hobs. Is this a possibility?

Yes, it is a possibility. But you must look at the other electrical appliances in your property (especially the fixed ones) and see what the maximum demand is likely to be. With the two ovens on at the same time, an electric shower running, the toaster & kettle, you could blow your main service fuse or damage the main incoming supply. Your electrician will need to establish your supply characteristics before doing anything else.

Mmmmm. Sounds potentially risky whatever the setup. I think I'll stick with one oven and one hob and sleep easy at night. Thanks for the advice.

Mmmmm. Sounds potentially risky whatever the setup. I think I'll stick with one oven and one hob and sleep easy at night. Thanks for the advice.

Nothing wrong with having the electrician provide advice and quote you for the work. You would need to ensure that he properly evaluated your supply characteristics. If you really want two ovens then it may be entirely possible and completely safe but your existing supply and electrical installation need to be evaluated first.

It's the hobs that cause the issue, having 2 x electric ovens is quite normal since the majority of under counter units are under 60L and a trukey at Xmas will mean no room for the spuds, pigs in blankets or yorkshire puds.

If you really need 2 x hobs, maybe 1 x gas and 1 x electric ?

Most ovens need about 15 amps, so you might find (subject to cable run) that the contractor could run both ovens via the existing 6mm circuit.

seems a bit daft to have 2 hobs and 2 ovens though..
unless you're setting up a cooking school or need one setup in another part of the kitchen, it would probably be cheaper and easier to get a range cooker with 6-8 rings and 1.5-2 ovens surely?
this would of course require a larger supply than the existing anyway..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back