connect dvd to tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! stupid question probably..don't laugh.

Do i have to conect my tv to an aerial if i only want to watch dvd's and not tv programmes :oops: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
No. but you still need a TV licence.

Errrr, are you 100% sure about that?

A TV license is required to receive broadcasts, not to watch pre recorded shows/DVD's if both the TV & the DVD recorder are permanently prevented from receiving broadcasts (perhaps remove/disable the tuner in both).

have a lookhere and here or here.

OR even better here for some good advise on the subject.

Which basically means that if you do not receive television programs at about the same time I.E. they are pre recorded or time shifted then you do not.

So if your going to do it, make sure that you "dont" have a TV aerial :D

Here starteth the arguments[/url]

You are on very shaky ground if the equipment that you have is capable of receiving BBC broadcasts.

Sponsored Links
And to be capable it has to have an antenna connected to it.

Read the linked information & do some more research to find out what you need to do.

i phoned the tv licence people and they said it was ok if not connected to an aerial or tuned in

And to be capable it has to have an antenna connected to it.

Read the linked information & do some more research to find out what you need to do.

Hmm, not necessarily if you stream iplayer output to it. Or being pedantic, if you have a sky or freesat dish.

Hmm, actually, scrub the iplayer bit, you don't need a licence for this at the moment but you do if you receive bbc channels through sky or freesat.

Having it connected to Sky - yes you need a license if you use that to watch
broadcasts atthe same time as the public do.

But to have a DVD player only connected to a TV then you do not.

As carolg has confirmed with a phone call, I would however get it confirmed in writing so that they do not bother you as they are likely to do so if you have a TV with no license.

Analogy:
licensing authority = "dog"
house with tv & no license = "bone"
:LOL: :LOL:

Having it connected to Sky - yes you need a license if you use that to watch
broadcasts atthe same time as the public do.

But to have a DVD player only connected to a TV then you do not.

As carolg has confirmed with a phone call, I would however get it confirmed in writing so that they do not bother you as they are likely to do so if you have a TV with no license.

Analogy:
licensing authority = "dog"
house with tv & no license = "bone"
:LOL: :LOL:

Yes, so would I as the TV licencing outsources it's revenue recovery to Capita, who shall we say get a bad press from some people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back