Connect modern 40mm waste to older pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to rework some waste pipe in our downstairs loo. I assumed it was standard 40mm solvent weld waste pipe as the house is less than 20 years old.

I bought some floplast pipes and elbows etc from screwfix. Offering up a connector it is obvious the new pipe is larger than the old. The old pipe has an outer diameter pretty much exactly 40mm so I presume an older sizing system.or perhaps it's an imperial size?

Can I buy a step down adaptor to connect new piping to old? What do I need? Searching seems to offer 40mm to 32mm or 50mm, not what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Which bit are you trying to rework? If a basin waste could be 32mm which in solvent weld would be 36mm. Maybe post a photo? Markings on the fittings?

The pipework was serving a basin, and then 2 up stands for washing machine and tumble drier. It's kind of a utility as well as downstairs loo.

The basin part is stepped down to 32mm, well at least this pipework version of it!

The rest is all 40mm outside diameter. I am trying to get rid of one of the upstands as we don't have a dryer and the washing machine is quite deep so we want to push it back further, hence the need to chop a chunk out. It is a mix of solvent weld and compression fittings as the u bends etc are compression.

I can't make out any markings on the pipework, only on a retaining clip it says Osma I believe.

I will give the suggested universal compression fitting a go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I bought the Floplast compression coupler from Screwfix - obviously it's a lot tighter on the new pipe than the old. Even with it done up as tightly as possible I can force the old thinner pipe to move albeit it's not loose as such - think it's going to be watertight?!!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The issue I have is that the pipe that goes into the floor (already tiled!) is the older diameter so at some point it will have to connect to that.

I have managed to find some markings on one of the old elbows : Osma 5Z160 90 deg ABS - just googled and that linked to a Wavin product on Travis Perkins - is it likely that modern versions of that will still be same dimensions? If so I will chuck away the Floplast bits I bought and try that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back