Connecting 1/2inch to 15mm pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the course of some minor plumbing alterations I came to a problem for which I should be grateful for some advice.

When I reached the stage of connecting the new 15mm pipe work to the old 1/2 inch pipe work I intended to use a straight 15mm compression coupling.

However, try as I would, I just could not get the old 1/2 inch pipe to accept the 15mm coupling.

I have used a 15mm connector with 1/2 inch pipe work before in a different house but this time the 1/2 inch was too big.

Can anyone advise me if there is a fitting to overcome this problem such as an over size fitting, or is there any other way to over come it.

I did clean the 1/2 inch pipe until it shone brightly

Thank you in anticipation,

Cheers,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Take the nut and olive off and smack the fitting on the pipe, then put the nut and olive on.

Sponsored Links
I did forget to say an old fitting would protect the thread better.

AN Hammer comes in handy sometimes :LOL:

Hi kevplumb and doitall nice to meet you and thank you for your rapid response.

kevplumb-- I tried this twice but the coupling still wouldn't go on.

doitall--The olive and nut are not on yet because they wouldn't go on.
I did try banging the fitting on to the 1/2 inch but the position
is so restricted that I was unable to hit it very hard.

Anyway, thank you both for you help and interest ,

Cheers and regards
Tony

Get a half inch to 15mm coupler.

Hello OP this is such a common situation for us.with so many solutions it's unbelievable.

1/ The endfeed sockets (you probably thin of these as straights or couplings) sold round here fit over any 1/2" pipe.

2/ If you can't solder in the situation or at all many pushfits shall go straight on. Except tectight.

or 3/ buy a strip of emery cloth which engineers use and wrap it right round until it is crossed over then make like Ray Mears lighting a fire. Takes a few minutes to reprofile it as 15mm.

The difference between you and us is more tenacity than knowledge. We can't give you that.

Plumb Center do a compression fitting , 15 mm to 16 mm, this will sort your problem, some areas of the country have this stuff more than others, it has caught me out a few times, you'll know when your cutting it cos your pipeslice will be extra tight on the pipe. Dont know what the actual size is but they call it 16 gauge so I guess it's pretty close to 16mm. :idea:

Plumb Center do a compression fitting , 15 mm to 16 mm, this will sort your problem, some areas of the country have this stuff more than others, it has caught me out a few times, you'll know when your cutting it cos your pipeslice will be extra tight on the pipe. Dont know what the actual size is but they call it 16 gauge so I guess it's pretty close to 16mm. :idea:

in our area all the houses that aren't new have original 1/2" and 3/4" we take it in our stride just requires two strong hands and some determination.

i hit exactly the same problem a while back while replacing a piece of pipework that was cemented into the floor.... the answer i found was a 15mm-1/2" sleeve fitting, which would slide all the way on to the 15mm pipe allowing me to mate the 2 pieces of pipe together and then slide the fitting back across the joint on to the 1/2" pipe and solder it all together :)

HI gigz, Paul Barker, chr15, Gunslinger and Wiggikins, nice to meet you all and thank you for all your advice.

Before trying many of the suggestions offered I decided to first try the ½ inch to 15mm coupler as this seemed the easiest to do for me.

So I spent most of Saturday touring round various suppliers but the general response varied from “never heard of it”, “a 15mm coupler is a ½ inch coupler” to “we don’t stock it because we have no call for it”.

Anyway after trying 7 suppliers I did manage to obtain a ½ inch to 15mm solder coupling and this did the job perfectly.

I thank all the people on this post for their advice and useful information and of course for their interest shown.

Cheers and regards,

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back