Connecting 25mm2 cable to a 45a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i have a run of 2 cables of 25mm2 and now need to connect them to a 45a cooker switch, my question is how do i get such a large cable, what do i use to reduce the cable to get it into the cable terminals on the switch?

The cable is so large because it is on a 12v system and is 20m away from the battery to reduce voltage loss. The switch is to turn the fridge of instead of removing cables from the battery.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Could you use a contactor to switch the 25.0mm² supply, and a small standard switch to operate the contactor?

You might be able to terminate a 16.0mm² cable into a 45A switch at a push, but not a 25.0mm²

wondadust said:
Hi
The cable is so large because it is on a 12v system and is 20m away from the battery to reduce voltage loss. The switch is to turn the fridge of instead of removing cables from the battery.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Andy

Caution

I would recommend the use of DC rated switches to avoid the risk of arcing when the switch is turned off. Some 230volt AC rated switches have the minimum 3 mm gap between contacts when open ( OFF ). This gap could be bridged by an arc on a DC supply to an inductive ( motor ) load.

Use of a contactor while "wasting" a small amount of power in the coil does make it easier to locate switches conveniently while keeping heavy current cable runs short and direct.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys i will take on board your warnings and look for a dc rated switch.
Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back