Connecting 32mm to 15mm water meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The water board is telling me I can connect up to 32mm pipe to their 15mm water meter and it should not reduce the flow. But this does not sound correct to me.

Is this correct or do I need them to fit a larger bore meter?
Currently the property has a cast iron feed on the property side and getting 18lpm at 4 bar.

Sponsored Links
I would certainly disagree on that one , it has to reduce the flow

If they fitted a new meter it would be 25mm but would probably still be 15mm on their side of it.

The flow will be less than if you had big bore all the way, but i've done that, new plastic on the half-inch copper stub coming off the meter, and it gave a tremedous improvement on flow when I replaced the half-inch lead on my side.

I think the run of new plastic pipe to the stopcock and kitchen tap was about 15 metres

i could have paid for the meter to be dug up in the pavement but didn't think the cost was worthwhile

Sponsored Links
If there is enough pressure then there should be no issue. A 15mm pipe will happily flow lots of water, it just starts to get noisy and increases wear when it exceeds 2ms.

Thanks everyone, I think it's worth a go since they will connect for free and then if there is not a flow get them back. It's on a mainish road so they'd need ttm if they mess with their side.

I asked this question when I did mine in 32mm. They said if I pipe up on my property from the meter in the pavement to the house, they'll match pipe size from the main (on the other side of the road) to the meter. Job quote showed new 15mm meter to be installed. I queried this and the water board guy said something like the 15mm is just the size of the flow channel for the metering part and it doesn't restrict the actual full flow path.

Sounded like BS to me but I couldn't really call him on it and there was no alternative offered.

I now get well over 30L/min out my supply anyway so... whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back