15mm Water Meter and MDPE Lead replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My water bill states I have a 15mm Water Meter.

I currently have a lead water main, giving me 12 litres/min from the kitchen tap with the aerator nozzle removed and brass stopcock fully open.

I am looking to get a Megaflo and System boiler to replace combi next year and I want to change the water main in readiness to hopefully improve the flow rate to more like the 20l/min minimum that the Megaflo wants.

Q. The bit I stuggle with, discounting pipe length and resistance being lower the bigger the pipe diameter, but with a 15mm meter, if I then fit 25mm MDPE (or even 32mm) I assume the Water Board will just fit an adaptor on my 25mm to their water meter at 15mm. I then have a restriction to 15mm right at the start of the system?

I have searched everywhere and cant find much on this topic of 15mm water meter, certainly nothing suggesting people request a bigger bore water meter from their water board.

Can anyone here advise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find the vast majority of domestic properties have 15mm copper tube where it enters the building complete with 15mm stop cock and - if fitted - a 15mm/½" water meter.

Sponsored Links
I should clarify my Meter is in the pavement outside my front garden.

Ive read all about United Utilities free replacement scheme for lead pipes and its what I want to do - its just the connection of a monster pipe to 15mm that I dont figure.

If as a poster said - they can give me a 22mm meter great - but I've not come accross any info on their site to that effect nor seen anything in forums about it either?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back