Connecting 5 double sockets to one Plug...

Sponsored Links
Seems a lot of work and trouble rather than just screwing on of these to the wall via the keyholes>

http://www.computerstar.co.uk/produ...-gang-mains-2-metre-power-extension-lead.html
medscale10WayMains.jpg

The equipment I have is :-

150w halide light only on for 8 hrs a day.
3x 4.5w pumps for water movement
A 50w heater on a thermostat
A couple of things but they must be less the 4-5watts each

I was hoping to just put 5 double sockets in the cabinet and put on a 13a fused plug just like an extension lead.

Sponsored Links
As John says when fed from a 13 amp plug the maximum load cannot exceed the current the fuse will pass.
Which is about 20A. Enough to make the fuse and plug hot enough to become destroyed.
True, 20A would be - but I'm trusting that the OP was telling the truth when he said that the total load 'wouldn't be anything like 13A'.

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure he was - just cautioning re the generic risks of multiple sockets on an FCU or a plug, be they a home made assembly or a purchased multi-way strip.

It only needs a CH breakdown to cause someone to plug a 3kW heater into one of those sockets and all of a sudden you've got a potential problem.

I think from now on I personally will be advising people to not install fused spurs serving more than one socket.

I'm sure he was - just cautioning re the generic risks of multiple sockets on an FCU or a plug, be they a home made assembly or a purchased multi-way strip.
Fair enough. As you said, we discussed that fairly recently.
It only needs a CH breakdown to cause someone to plug a 3kW heater into one of those sockets and all of a sudden you've got a potential problem. ... I think from now on I personally will be advising people to not install fused spurs serving more than one socket.
I actually intended to raise that point when I wrote yesterday, but forgot to - i.e. pointing out that having a lot of sockets on a 13A fused spur (perfectly acceptable to regs) is not materially different from what we are discussing here (an FCU bearing the brunt, rather than a plug/socket). What you now say indicates that you essentially agree with that.

In either case, I suppose the fact is that plugs, FCUs and any other accessories designed to hold a BS1362 fuse should be required by BS1363 to be capable of coping with the current/duration that a 13A BS1362 fuse can allow to flow before operating (including a continous current at the limit of what will not cause the fuse to operate) - something which I imagine, but am not certain, is not the case (stillp?!).

If you plan to advise people against fused spurs supplying more than one socket, I guess you might as well advise them not to use fused spurs at all - since an unfused spur can supply one socket (and little, if anything, is gained by adding a 13A fuse).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the help, and for completely confusing me.

Ok can someone answer me this:
Is there any difference in buying a switched 6 plug extention lead or wiring 3 double sockets on to a 13a plug?

Thanks for the help, and for completely confusing me. Ok can someone answer me this:
Is there any difference in buying a switched 6 plug extention lead or wiring 3 double sockets on to a 13a plug?
Sorry if we've confused you. As I think you probably suspect, the short/simple answer to your question in 'no' - i.e. there is essentially no difference. In both cases, all will be fine if the total load is well below 13A (as your will normally be), but problems could arise if people started plugging in large loads (bringing total to above 13A) - that's why some people (like BAS) are a little nervous about either!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back