Connecting a built-in electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A daft question probably..

I'm replacing my old gas oven with a built-in electric one. It's 2.2 kW.

The cooker socket I've inherited from the previous house owner is 45A, a weird shaped one. It also has a safety switch above the worktop which I was going to keep.

The new oven has a 13A standard plug. Is it possible to replace the old socket with a standard one leaving the rest as it is, or should i also replace the safety switch with some kind of reducing switch?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to replace the old socket with a standard one leaving the rest as it is,

Yes you can but where will the socket be? If it is behind the built in cooker then you will have access problems if the fuse in the plug goes.

Thanks. The socket is actually about 2ft away from the oven, behind the fridge, so access wouldn't be a problem.

Does it mean that the fuse in the plug will need replacing quite often because of the amp difference?

Does it mean that the fuse in the plug will need replacing quite often because of the amp difference?
No. Their circuits and appliances having been designed correctly, fuses should never blow.

Please be clear about the appliance you had before. And what you are replacing it with.

That oven will plug into a standard 3 pin 13 amp socket. This can be fed from the "safety" switch if you desire. No problem with that at all.

Sponsored Links
Steve, I had an old type gas cooker before, hence the socket was plated. When I opened it there were three parallel contacts inside. The fused switch for this socket is marked as 45amp. I assume it's a separate cooker circuit.

What I'm trying to find out is whether I can replace the old socket with a standard three pin one, by reconnecting the wires according to their sleeving colour, without doing anything else?

What I'm trying to find out is whether I can replace the old socket with a standard three pin one, by reconnecting the wires according to their sleeving colour, without doing anything else?
Yes you can. The "plated socket" is a "cooker connection unit" and is easily replaced with a socket. The fuse in the plug will then protect the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back