connecting a new foul sewer to a manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks very sorry to have to ask for advice again but hopefully some can help me.

i need to put in a new foul sewer line which is fine i got my head round doing this. However the problem i have is how to connect into the sewer

The manhole is brick built1.5 meters deep. the main sewer pipe at the bottom of the manhole is a half pipe with sloped sides (sort of a catch pit)

our current fowl sewer line drops in about 600 mm down from surface level and everything drops into the main line below. Our neighbours line comes in at the bottom (1.5m depth) at about 45 degrees to main line.

here is my question can i legally break into the manhole and put a second feed in or do i need to get permission from severn Trent.

also what height should i break in i was thinking about 400 to 500 mm above the base feed at about 45 degrees to the main pipe.

just to clarify i have to come into the main manhole as the current darain is 500 to high for us to connect into

hope this is clear your help would be welcomed. image below

//media.diynot.com/170000_169805_48711_77445835_thumb.jpg[GALLERY=media, 48711][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Connections to manholes should be at the invert level ie all at the bottom, and not just randomly all up the sides

You will need the water authorities permission if this is their section of sewer, and the work would be inspected as part of your building regs application

I recently had to connect to a 2m deep manhole. The building inspector suggested and passed a pipe through the manhole at about 500mm down, a bend and pipe to just above top of sewer, and another bend to direct the waste in the direction of flow. The water authority were not interested as it was not classed as a new connection.

Sponsored Links
You may have been lucky with the Builder Inspector, a lot wont allow internal backdrops. If they dont it means a lot of digging! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back