Connecting a remote doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, feel free to flame away, this is a question that I'm sure will cause some eye rolling - so get it out of the way not please: :rolleyes:

we have a nice black metal doorbell surround and button on the front door. This was connected (by someone else, previous owner) to the button of a modern remote doorbell via a cable that went through the door frame. this meant that visitors pushed the old style doorbell outside, and it triggered a modern doorbell from inside.

Time to renew the modern doorbell now, as the remote chime has erm, gone awol.

Can anyone recommend a modern remote doorbell that someone with zero circuitry experience can manipulate (aka hack) so that I have a modern remote doorbell that's operated by the outdoor button. I purchased a new one, but everything needed to be soldered (which I have no experience of, or tools). I dont need a fancy bell, just a simple dingdong will do!

diagram(ish):

button outside---cable---modern button (indoors)---controls chimes

I hope I've managed to ask the question in a way that you a) understand and b) amused some of you :)

thanks in advance

edit: by remote, I meant wireless

Sponsored Links
Use the button to control one of these or these directly.

The old 2-tone doorbells have very little to go wrong and will last forever, given the solenoid and chimes are kept clean.

I always remember being intrigued when I opened up my grandma's old doorbell and saw how simple it was. :LOL:

I hate the sound of modern doorbells. Yuck. And so tacky.

The solenoid doorbells also mean the caller can make as much racket as he wants, by repeatedly pushing the button and hammering the chimes.

If there's a hole through the door frame directly behind the button, take the cable out and poke a bit of dowel through it as a pushrod.

Put your new bell push 'back to front' over the dowel on the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back