connecting a socket spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 10mm shower cable connected to a 32amp mcd. how do i spur off a 25mm socket cable.

10mm cable is connecting to a 7.5kw electric shower. run of cable is 20m and spur needs to be connected at the 15m mark

Can someone help please. :?:

Sponsored Links
You don't spur of electric shower circuits, they are left separate from other circuits and should only supply power to the shower.

Run a spur from a nearby ring final (or radial) circuit, not the shower circuit.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that

i am aware that ordinarily you can not connect, but is there a loophole to that? i mean is it technically possible by putting a 16 amp fuse box to reduce the high voltage :?:

No there are no loopholes.

As Steve said, you could turn the first part of the circuit into a sub-main, with a small CU and 2 MCBs, one for the shower and one for the socket, but that isn't straightforward, it requires testing, it is notifiable, and as you don't know the difference between voltage and current I doubt if you have the necessary underpinnings of knowledge to be able to tackle it safely.

I'll now await the howls of outrage from all those who don't believe that people should be told unpalatable truths.

thanks for that

i am aware that ordinarily you can not connect, but is there a loophole to that? i mean is it technically possible by putting a 16 amp fuse box to reduce the high voltage :?:
Yes, but its not voltage you're reducing, its current. And this is NOT a small job.

What is the socket to be used for?

Just to play devil's advocate here;

2.5mm RFCs are on 32a MCBs
a 2.5 spur can be taken from such a circuit.
So, why not a 2.5mm spur from a 32a radial? :confused: :?: :eek: :D :cool:

interesting logiccs from Love Rocket

I wish to use the spur for some sockets,
I don't have any other close by ring final or radial circuits to connect to

the shower and the scokets will not be used at the same time

And still you don't have the basic knowledge required to do it yourself, and an electrician isn't going to do it, so..

I don't have any other close by ring final or radial circuits to connect to
Then you will need to either run a new circuit from the CU for your new sockets or run a spur (via a FCU) from your exisitng ring final circuit so you can have a supply to where you need it. The former will involve notification to your LABC.

Just to play devil's advocate here;

2.5mm RFCs are on 32a MCBs
a 2.5 spur can be taken from such a circuit.
So, why not a 2.5mm spur from a 32a radial? :confused: :?: :eek: :D :cool:

Permitted under 17th - see Appendix 15. Same rules as for Spur of a ring in that only one single/double outlet is permitted.

So you can have a 32A MCB feeding a radial wired in 4mm with a 2.5mm Spur and one accessory. If you want to put more than one accessory on the "spur" then you wire it in 4mm and call it a Branch, not a Spur

It is not just one socket he has in mind

How would he do this, a radial in 6mm?
How will he get two 6mm into the back of the sockets/ or will he use a 13A FCU?
What is on all these sockets? Will he turn off the PC and Router everytime someone uses the shower? Total rubbish.

Crack on and do it my son. You'll need a JB big enough to take 10mm though, and make sure those connections are sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back