Connecting an additional socket

GSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a little used switched surface mounted double socket in a pantry and plan to drill through the wall into the adjacent kitchen and then install another switched surface mounted double socket there. I would then plug a tumble drier into one of the new sockets in the kitchen.

To keep things simple I plan to simply attach a plug to a suitable length of cable and then plug this into one of the sockets in the pantry. I would then feed the cable through the hole drilled in the wall and wire this up to the new surface mounted socket in the kitchen. Obviously I won't be switching the socket in the pantry back on until everything is properly connected.

Does this make sense and, if not, what alternatives would anyone recommend? I would also be grateful for advice about how to safely connect the cable to the new switched double socket in the kitchen.

Many thanks, GSD.

Sponsored Links
not sure i read u correct and am in no way qualified to respond but I think your saying your going to get a length of cable, attach a plug to it and then run this plug to feed a double socket?

From the things Ive read I would run a spur off of the socket but then again there are other factors that come into this.

Specify whether ur on a ringmain or radial and as the kitchen is a special location not sure if this is permissable under regulations

Aah, we in murky waters here.

What GSD is proposing is nothing more that an extension lead that you could buy from your local woolies. All he is doing is popping the lead thru the wall.

As its not fixed wiring it would sidestep the PPPPPPPP issue.

It will work but, GSD, please note that the max you will be able to draw from the added socket will be 13amps as that is the size of the fuse in the plug that will go in the pantry.

Also, make sure that the cable you use will be man enough for the load. 1.5mm² minimum.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much to you both for getting back to me.

Taylortwocities is correct in saying that what I'm proposing is to run an extension lead through the wall, with the only difference being that the other end of this this will be wired up to fixed surface mounted socket in the kitchen rather than a mobile socket. I certainly don't want to do anything unsafe or breach any regulations but it sounds as though this arrangement should work alright.

I would prefer to instal a double socket in the kitchen but I understand the point about not being able to draw down a load of more than 13amps in total. In the circumstances would it be safer to instal a single socket instead?

If you have any other ideas about how to achieve the same result more efficiently please let me know. GSD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back