Connecting an iPod

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

I have just been given a new iPod, it's the latest(mk4?) 40gb version.

I wish to load it using a Toshiba Satellite PS192E lap top. I have installed the software (no probs) and also put a Cd onto the lap top.

I then connected the iPod via a USB port and it said the port is not an high speed port. I only have 2 free USB ports and cannot see a FireWire port.

Is this lap top unsuitable or can I have it upgraded to high speed USB or have a FireWire port installed.

The lap top is 2 years old.

BTW. I am not the best with computers! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I forgot to mention. The computer is on Win XP 2002 home edition with service pack 2. It also says.Intel (R) Pentium 4(R)4CPU 2.00 GHz. 1.99 Ghz,256MB of ram.

Igorian..Thankyou for your link. If I took the laptop to a computer shop, will there be a place where that card(or something similar) will physically fit? will it replace the existing 2 USB ports?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Have a look on the side of your laptop for a slot about 2 inches long with a (sometimes recessed) button next to it. The slot may have a flap over it or contain a blank card (credit card size). This is the PCMCIA slot. You should have no problems fitting the card yourself. It just plugs into the slot and is removed by pressing the button. Just follow the instructions for installing the drivers.

BTW, what make/model is the laptop?

Hi Igorian

Its a Toshiba Satellite see this.

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe..../Others/Brochures/Satellite1900_1950 DB_2.pdf

Mine is the smaller one on the left in the spec/data.

Yes there is a slot on the left below the volume control and head phone jack. It actually looks like it's for 2 cards as there are 2 flaps and 2 buttons. The slots appear empty, when I press the spring loaded buttons nothing comes out. I have read the quickstart menu and it describes them as PC card slots.

What type of card do you suggest and would I end up with a USB 2 or a FireWire? The iPod says you can use either and gives both plugs.

Many Thanks.

Igorian....Thanks very much for your help and advice (again) that's another pint I owe you!

I will let you know how I go on.

Regards, Dave.

Just as a BTW, PCMCIA is now known simply as PC Cards. Glad you got it sorted, must check for replies more often :)

Eddie M said:
Just as a BTW, PCMCIA is now known simply as PC Cards. Glad you got it sorted, must check for replies more often :)

Tut, anything to get half my beer :D

It's all double dutch to me Eddie.

I've ordered the combined USB2/FireWire version from Ebuyer, as per Ian's link. They said it will come next Wednesday. I read somewhere they are a bit ify(iPods) sometimes to set up, so I am thinking the choice may help if one don't work.

I was given the iPod as a present, it is very small considering they hold upto 10.000 tracks!

I believe you can also play back through your normal stereo speakers/amp with them, anyone know anything about that?

Thanks for your help Gents.

BTW I'm not upto a pint each!

david and julie said:
I believe you can also play back through your normal stereo speakers/amp with them, anyone know anything about that?

Thanks for your help Gents.

BTW I'm not upto a pint each!

Yes you can, but personally I don't like MP3's replayed in this manner, the MP3 compression is pretty harsh, and as such quite a bit of "inaudible" information is lost. I think they (MP3's that is) sound fine through headphones (a much more limited frequency range) but through loudspeakers it sounds muddy and clipped to me. That all said though of course it is entirely subjective :D

One pint and 2 straws then :LOL:

Ian/Eddie.

I ordered the card from ebuyer and it as gone astray. I have been to PC world today and they sold me a card, I have installed this and it is recognised in properties.

I now find that when I plug the iPod into into this card the computer crashes/freezes up after a few seconds.

They have assured me they have given me the right card but it is called an Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Notebook card and not a PC card. The bumph says, Adds 2 enhanced usb2.0 480Mbps ports to your notebook/installs easily into any32-bit type2 CardBus slot/includes global-use power supply.

Have they sold me the right card?

BTW. when I remove the new card and use an original USB port, the iPod will not transfer, but the computer doesn't crash.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Back