Connecting an iPod

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
A little uncertain from your description, but does it come with an external PSU that plugs into the card? If so, have you tried it with the psu connected?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian.

Yes it has got a separate PSU, but it makes no difference whether it is in or not.

I have now removed and reinstalled the software. It loads a programme called i tunes, which is what puts the CD's onto the computer, and this works fine. It then starts to load the iPod software, during this part it prompts you to plug in the iPod to configure it. It is at this point that it freezes up. This only happens when plugging into the new USB 2.0 port. If I plug it into the existing original port it doesn't freeze, but it won't work either, it says it is to slow.

I did notice whilst loading the writing said the audio card must be quick time compatible, does that mean anything?

I do appreciate you are a bit in the dark not having seen the instructions!

I have also read elseware that they can be a bit ify to get going.

Thanks for your time and effort. Dave.

Have you tried plugging in the ipod and then powering up the laptop? The quicktime bit relates to playback, so shouldn't be an issue. Yes, remote problems are harder to fix, but no probs.

Another thing to try (a bit of a straw clutcher). Try the PC card in the other slot.

Sponsored Links
Ian... I have just tried the other slot and it made no difference.

I have also tried powering up the computer as you said and it comes on OK then freezes if I press the iPod icon.

I am convinced it is something to do with either the PC card or the configuration of the iPod. In the morning I will remove all the software again and reinstall. I will also try iPod on-line help for configuring problems.

I will let you know how I go on.

Do you have an opinion on the card I have, would it matter that it doesn't have UK on the part number?

Cheers Dave.

The card (unless faulty) should be ok as both your slots are type II. I've not used an Ipod, but have set up many USB cards with no unusual problems.

You could try taking the card back to PCWorld and exchanging for firewire.

You might want to contact the Ipod support guys, although I did see this on the page, which might help

Hi Ian.

I have reinstalled everything and it as started working very slowly(as you said) on the original USB port.

I took the card back to PCW for their opinion, they said most of these cards are used for this purpose and they should be OK. They also said they have had several back for exactly the same problem. They have suggested I try the firewire instead, so I will try ebuyer again. I will let you know, but I am sure the card was faulty or unsuitable.

Cheers, Dave.

Yes, difficult to get any sense out of PCWorld. Let us know how the firewire card goes.

Cheers

Ian

OK gentlemen, Firewire card in and working, have now got around 1800 tracks on and it seems fine.

Eddie M. I also got a lead to play back through the auxilary on my stereo, as you say the quality is not quite as good.

Next year we are hoping to buy a narrowboat (if all goes to plan) and we thought an iPod would be a good way of saving space whilst still having a choice of music.

Thanks again for all your help, Dave.

Eddie M said:
Just as a BTW, PCMCIA is now known simply as PC Cards. Glad you got it sorted, must check for replies more often :)

Are you talking about PCMCIA 1, 2, or 3? :p

My Commodore CDTV had a PCMCIA 1 slot.

With regards to connecting an iPod via USB 1.1, the maximum data throughput you will get is about 1.5 megabytes per second. Assuming you have a 20GB iPod, that is about 4 hours to load it. Bearing in mind you never get maximum speed, you are talking more like 8 hours. With USB2, you can get (theoretically) 60 megabytes per second (although that is unlikely). The same 20GB iPod will take realistically about 15 minutes to load.

Could be worse, the USB connector on my new phone emulates a rather slow serial port and takes nearly an hour to put a couple of MP3s on it :evil:

Of course if I had read your post properly I would have seen you have the 40GB version :LOL:

My brother has an iPod. After I finished berating him for buying something made by Apple, he showed me a cool little extra he has for it. It is an FM modulator about the size of a AA battery that clips on to the top, so we were driving along in my car, him holding his iPod in his hand, but we were listening to it, wirelessly, on the car stereo. Sound quality was very good, only fault was that the signal received was pretty quiet so required rather high volume. But with modern car stereos being quite powerful and of decent quality, this didn't detract from the listening pleasure.

I tried it in the car today with one of those adaptors in the cassette slot, worked really well. In fact it was good to find a use for the cassette player!

Can't understand why they are still fitted in cars really, it must be 10 years since I bought a cassette.

Folks,

I believe you can set up an iPOD to play through your normal stereo.

I have a Technics EH750 about 5 years old. Can anyone please advise what I need to get and how it is done please. By the way I assume an ipod can be used through the mains and not just batteries. I assume the play back quality will be pretty reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Back