Connecting Back Boiler to hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
30 years ago gas fired central heating installed, as I wished to also to be able to use my coal fire with back boiler the plumber fitted a Sussex Flange above the cold water inlet, right hand side of cylinder in attached photograph. 13 years ago the flange leaked, corrosion was the cause, I fitted a new cylinder after fitting a Sussex Flange in the same position as previous one. 2 weeks ago a repeat of the leak, I managed a temporary repair and after the holiday break went to purchase a new cylinder, it was suggested to me that I should connect the back boiler to the cold water feed as the water from the storage cistern also feeds the back boiler, in fact the T off this back boiler supply is the lower connection on right hand side of photo. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?
JRSCurrie

Sponsored Links
Yes, everything is wrong with it.

Get a twin coil cylinder and another header tank. Oh and a plumber that knows what he's doing.

Sponsored Links
Your trying to connect the boiler to a direct system so the cylinder wont last 5mins, more so the modern paper thin ones.

Plus you'll probably need to de-scale the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back