Connecting bath waste to soil pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old fashioned internal cast iron soil stack that is extremely inaccessible without knocking walls down. There is a pipe that comes off the soil pipe and through an internal wall into the bathroom to connect the bath waste to. I have recently replaced the bath and pipework and am having major difficulties in getting a watertight connection, consider:

Pipe is 65mm (external) 50 mm (internal) diameter.
Where it connects to the soil stack, it is at a slight incline so there will always be a bit of water left in the pipe sitting on the connection.

I have tried a few plumbers merchants to see if there is a fitting to connect this pipe to 40 mm waste, as yet I have had no luck. I wondered if anyone had come across something similar and found a solution? There are more plumbers merchants to try but I am doubtful of finding anything to connect these pipes together. I have also thought about using a setting compound i.e. cement or even grout.

I have tried using combinations of hemp, denso tape and plumbers mait. These work for a while but eventually leak. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I thought about a mastic. My concern is that if it doesn't work I'll end up with a right mess that will be difficult to undo.

Difficult to be 100% sure what the pipe is made from. It's a hard material, you can shave it with a stanley but would have difficulty cutting into it. I would say its a hard plastic. As mentioned, its pretty inaccessible so difficult to get a good look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back