Connecting dishwasher - newbie advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am pretty new to all of this. Having my kitchen refitted and the plumber is keen to only connect the dishwasher up to the inlet once the sinks are done, which is a week off, and I want to use the dishwasher. Can someone please advise what type of connection I need?

It's a Bosch dishwasher, the inlet pipe to it won't attach to the mains water pipe, the thread is smaller. See photos:

32272722666_a8d4f2dd61_b.jpg

31934844790_75fc4621c1_b.jpg

The Bosch manual doesn't give much away on how to do it... What sort of connector do I need please?

Sponsored Links
Hi Doggit okay thanks ill be off to screwfix tomorrow anyway. Do you know if they are different sizes on each end, as this is the problem I'm having. The dishwasher connector is larger than the mains inlet pipe.

On the washing machine fitting, the end with the compression fitting goes on the copper pipe, and the dishwasher goes on the other end. You should fit a couple of rounds of PTFE tape between the olive, and the fitting to take up any little gaps, but the job should be an easy one.

Sponsored Links
OK Thanks. I've just realised that it won't fit as there's not enough clearance below the copper pipe. It's not clear on the photo.

Should i therefore buy 2x of these connectors and some pipe inbetween them to allow me to create some space?

Well tell the OP what you would suggest then, rather than just rubbishing my advice. Believe me, I'm more than happy to learn from others, but disparaging others methods achieves nothing.

1) Turn off water
2) Undo old valve top nut
3) Remove valve
4) If old olive is ridged or marked, cross cut with hacksaw till almost through, plain screwdriver into the cut and twist, olive should snap, remove olive and nut.
5) Attach new valve and tighten it just enough
ae235

6) If olive isn't too badly marked you may be able to re-use it and the old nut, if so then (ducks) a few wraps of PTFE will help in sealing an old olive into a new fitting.

Last edited:
I'm a bit nearer to having a working dishwasher :) Just to update: Went to screwfix earlier, bought that part but alas it only fits the dishwasher pipe end. The other pipe (the mains inlet) is the same diameter - 20mm I think, but the other end of the elbow connector from Screwfix is the same so wont connect up...

I was passing B&Q and bought a 22mm connector pipe thinking this would work but it didn't fit (too big). Couldn't find 20mm in B&Q either.

Any ideas?

I've made another photo to show you the progress...

31488183324_44c002e59e_b.jpg

Last edited:
You may have to support that plastic anti flood valve end too (the plastic box) as it's probably going to put a bit of stress on the valve and joint by it's weight, as it doesn't look as if the pipework is clipped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back