Connecting flexible water pipes to mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new mixer tap comes with two flexible pipes that have rubber O rings at the tip where it enters the tap. However the place where it needs to go and thread into inside the tap is quite deep inside. Pic below: So i cannot get any tools in there to tighten it. Do I just hold the flexible pipe from lower down and twist the pipe to tighten it? will it not damage the pipe?

DLikoxJ.png

Sponsored Links
Pretty much. With taps like that, the tails often come with a rigid section at the tip with a hex shape so you can spanner them.

Pretty much. With taps like that, the tails often come with a rigid section at the tip with a hex shape so you can spanner them.

Problem with the hex tip is that I cannot really get any tool in there because that bit is quite deep inside the tap

Try them by hand (if you can pressure test before final fix then that'd be good). If that doesn't work you can get copper tap tails (google them) which may solve your problem

Sponsored Links
Hand tight only needed with them.

Wet your finger and run it round the o-ring before fitting just to make sure if sits properly.

So my current mixer tap has rigid pipes cut to size go to it. One goes up from a vertically straight isolator valve and the other has a elbow with the isolator valve on the elbow.

I can't use the existing rigid pipe because it's not high enough for the new tap. Problem is that I cannot fit the end of the Flexi fitting simply to the end of the isolator because the end that I removed the rigid pipe from is the sharp style surface designed for the olive compression fitting. Whereas the Flexi uses a rubber gasket which needs to sit on a flat surface. So basically I need to turn my entire water supply off to change the isolator with something that has a flat end for rubber fitting on one side and a olive fitting on the other side. Can anyone kindly tell me what these type of fittings are called so I can get it from Screwfix or Toolstation which is more convenient. Thank you

Fit a tap tail adaptor into the iso valve ,with an olive and nut. Toolstation do them.
Item code is 14081 for 1/2 inch bsp

Fit a tap tail adaptor into the iso valve ,with an olive and nut. Toolstation do them.
Item code is 14081 for 1/2 inch bsp

Awesome, that's perfect. Saves me having to replace the entire isolator valve. Should I put plumbers mate or PTFE on the thread once olive has compressed in?

A properly made compression joint doesn't need anything other than the olive ,and plumbers mait is never used .

A properly made compression joint doesn't need anything other than the olive ,and plumbers mait is never used .

Thank you. I need to get two new nuts and olives. I could cut the old pipe and push out the nut. The nuts seems to be sold as part of the fitting and the only iso valve fittings they seem to do is the silver colour ones and my current ones are the gold colour ones. So I think I need the gold colour ones.

Buy a compression straight coupler code 46615 ,and use the two nuts and two olives.( the middle bit is surplus to requirements) !!!

Buy a compression straight coupler code 46615 ,and use the two nuts and two olives.( the middle bit is surplus to requirements) !!!

Thanks. the nuts on that straight couple are not hex, i take it I need to use waterpump pliers to tighten that only? What about product code 73491 coupler instead?

OK ,code 47520 has hex nuts ,and if you don't like the shade of the brass colour your stuffed...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

About 49 pence !! Just different brand names ,pegler stuff is always a bit dearer. Bit like burger king and macdonalds ,both will make you fat ,but not at the same price !!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back