Connecting isolating valve to copper pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've attached an image of an existing isolation valve setup to a cistern. I want to cut off the valve and replace it with a flexible pipe/valve but I've noticed that the copper pipe is slightly deformed and I'm concerned that a new flexible pipe might not sit properly on its olive. Is it possible to leave the lower nut of the existing valve and connect the remaining part of the new flexible pipe?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Isolating valve.jpg
    Isolating valve.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
1. Provided that the new pipe has the same thread on its nut as the isolation valve, then yes. The threads are nearly always 1/2" BSP.
2. In the unlikely event that the threads are different, remove the olive from the copper pipe, remove the old nut and use the nut and olive which comes with the new flexi.
3. Whatever you do you will have to isolate the water supply.

Thanks oldbuffer. Could you advise on the correct tool to separate the old valve from its nut and likewise connect the flexible pipe to the older nut.?

Thanks oldbuffer. Could you advise on the correct tool to separate the old valve from its nut and likewise connect the flexible pipe to the older nut.?
Two spanners of the correct size ,or 2 adjustable spanners.
One grips the valve body,the other releasing the nut.

Sponsored Links
Two spanners of the correct size ,or 2 adjustable spanners.
One grips the valve body,the other releasing the nut.
Or maybe a Stillson on the valve. I'd just add - to avoid risking distorting the pipe, set the 2 spanners up so the ends are about 3" apart (depending how big his hands are!) and squeeze together, don't pull. As if firing a rifle.

Pair of vice grips and an adjustable .... though to be perfectly honest if you need to ask what tools are required then you maybe want to get someone in to sort it out for you, if it goes wrong then it could be a bit of a mess, that will all head downstairs.

Chances are the new old nut and olive on a new fitting may weep a little so the old olive will need a wrap or 2 of tape. if you are using a flexi with a compression ISO valve on one and the valve connection on the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back