Connecting multiple TV arial cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning re-routing my arial straight into my digi box and then have separate cables going out to the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms. This way I can get digi TV on all the tellies. I really don't want to use the junction type adaptor that you can buy in the shops, because it is going to be hidden behind a stud wall and I don't want any cables to accidentally fall out.

Can I use a choc block to connect 4 cables into one? Or maybe solder them together? What about loss of signal if I did this?

Many thanks,

Gunter.

Sponsored Links
What you really need is a Aerial distribution amplifer. This way there is no guess work on how many outlets you can feed before the picture becomes so degraded that you notice.

You can buy them from tlc-direct for under a tenner . The more outlets you need , the higher the price.

Have a look at http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXSLX4.html

Why not use a wireless transmitter? Then have a receiver for each TV. Not a cheap option but would save running wires, etc.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/books/r_book2.pdf

worth while reading if you want to go the wireless route

Me - I have just wired all my rooms with aerial sokets as part of a total rewire with a four way LNB on the sat dish, this will save family arguments over who watches what

Have also put phone sockets in every room

With hindsight it would have been easier to put DECT phones everywhere

Why hard wire when you can use wireless systems ?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, the wireless option does sound awfully tempting! It would save a lot of hassle and mean I could move the tellys around if needed.

Does anyone have any experience with a good system? ie post a few names/links/distributors?

skellem said:
I am planning re-routing my arial straight into my digi box and then have separate cables going out to the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms.

If the aerial isn't going directly into the digibox at present, what is it connected to ???

Regards, Graham

GRC said:
If the aerial isn't going directly into the digibox at present, what is it connected to ??? Regards, Graham

It goes outside the house and then through the porch doorframe and then into a splitter which feeds the upstairs and downstairs, so the upstairs doesn't have a signal from the digibox. It just has a feed from outside.

Can I use a choc block to connect 4 cables into one? Or maybe solder them together? What about loss of signal if I did this?
Whatever else you do, don't try this method. RF feeders are not like power cables where you can just parallel another light across the existing feeder.

If you connect multiple coax cables together like this, you will upset the impedance matching and the result will be ghastly (and quite possibly "ghostly" on the screen as well ;) ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back