Virgin TV in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For years I have had a second set top box in bedroom - Scientific Atlanta supplied by Virgin. The TV in the bedroom was connected to this box via the scart connection.

I then used the coax arial outlet at the back of the set top box to feed down to our kitchen via amplifier that also had ordinary arial programmes connected to it and then via ordinary co ax cable. This allowed us to watch what was on in the bedroom box to be seen in the kitchen - great when say cricket was on Sky Sports! The coax was routed with an ordinary arial feed to the kitchen via an amplifier, always worked perfectly. We could always change normal five channels on kitchen TV and see on the sixth what was on the bedroom box!

However the Scientific box went kaput yesterday and the Virgin man has replaced it with a brand new Samsung set top box. Setting it up in exactly the same way as before, the TV in the bedroom is perfect, but the piicture/sound reception in the kitchen is hopeless, can be hardly seen and very grainy.

Is there any way we can rectify this and get the picture down to the kitchen. The kitchen is fed by normal coax cable. Can scart be fed through this such coax cable or can someone think of another way.

I cant have another Virgin box installed as I already have the maximum three - lounge, bedroom, family room

Sponsored Links
You'd probably be better off in the 'Audio-Visual' section.

Does kitchen TV work with scart disconnected from box?

Try kitchen TV in bedroom i.e. by-passing amplifier and house co-ax - just to eliminate fault in these. Coincidences do happen.

I will guess that Virgin use the same system as Sky in that they select a channel as their default for the RF output.

With Sky this is channel 68 and in some areas this has interfered with the old analogue or new digital broadcasts.

In my area until analogue was turned off I heard of many complaining that Channel 5 would not work as the multiplex signal was on channel 68 and some ones sky box was causing a degrading of signal.

With the Sky box it is a hidden menu to change the RF frequency and I had to experiment to find one that was not only not used but also did not produce harmonics on a used channel. After a lot of experiment I did find a free channel and I would expect you have same problem with new Virgin box.

Sponsored Links
Contact VM use there there web forum, & ask how to set it up or for the other box.

PS - there are probably other sites where clicking a topic called "Virgin TV in the kitchen" would get you nothing to do with set-top boxes and televisions - be careful out there.

I have a samsung sm2110c which has the rf out enabled my sister in law had her box replaced by the same model as mine but the rf out is disabled on her box.

The newer v + boxes don't have rf out either i think they are switching it off so it doesn't upset freeview in some areas.

If you unplug the aerial from the input of the box and the picture appears ok then the rf channel out on the virgin box is on the same channel as a freeview mux.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back