TV in another room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Scientific Atlanta Virgin Box in bedroom. I connected TV via scart and ran a coax from Arial outlet to amplifier, that also received a coax from ordinary roof top arial. From this amplifier coax down to kitchen where TV had normal 5 channels plus Channel 6 showed whatever was on set top box. This set top box has gone kaput!

Today replaced with a brand new Samsung set top box. Connected up exactly the same as before, but the picture on the kitchen TV is hopeless, hardly can see it and very very grainy.

Is there anything I can do to get the TV in the kitchen back to original service, it was so useful. We already have three set top boxes so cannot go that route.

Sponsored Links
Have you retuned the TV to the output frequency of your new box, it might not be the same as the old box?

also with the areal directly plugged into the tv what happens do you get normal tv ??

Thanks for replying. Yes the five channels work perfectly utilising the normal roof top aerial.

I have tuned in the new box to the 6th channel number on my TV, that is how I described a very poor grainy picture, this followed my tuning in. I went across the whole range of the tuning ie. went through the normal five channels twice to ensure the tuning to the box was the best available, in fact it was the only one available.

Sponsored Links
FWIW, Sky boxes have a feature where the RF channel frequency can be moved. This helps when the Sky box channel is too close to an existing RF channel.

I don't know if Virgin boxes have the same feature. If not, you can buy an external RF modulator.

Thanks ChrisFrost, you were right about the Virgin Box, it is not the same as Sky and I purchased an External RF Modulator. £16 from Amazon. Received this morning, easy to set up and works with both Samsung and Pace Virgin V boxes.

As you have to set channel on Modulator to the Channel on the TV ie. say Channel 22 on both, am I right in assuming I could have a modulator on each of my three boxes and have different channels selected on each, this would give the "non V Boxed" T/V's in the house a selection of three extra channels, basically playing the views that are playing on the original Tv's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back