Connecting my home to an external building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I ma considering connecting the main part of my house to a 'studio' outbuilding.

The distance is only about 6ft and could easily be done with a temporary timber/ glass structure.

Do I need permission to do this? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Such as you describe would not need Building Regulations approval.

Whether or not it would need planning permission is anyone's guess; depends - among other things - on the existing layout.

Sketch plan would help.

That's a bold statement tony, assuming the external doors are left in tact the link still needs to comply with Regs, although does not need approval. OP, calling it a temporary structure holds no water nowadays.

That's a bold statement tony, assuming the external doors are left in tact the link still needs to comply with Regs, although does not need approval. OP, calling it a temporary structure holds no water nowadays.

Yes, safety glazing and part P electrics, but otherwise?
(and yes - assuming existing door left intact).

Sponsored Links

Whether or not it would need planning permission is anyone's guess; depends - among other things - on the existing layout.

Sketch plan would help.

I'd wondered about this. Does the whole outbuilding become an attached extension?

Cheers
Richard

Will it be enclosed or just a covered walkway?

If it is a 'porch/conservatory' smaller than a certain size, with no heating (or independent heating) and the existing external doors in place then you should be ok without BR and it may be PP (glazing and electrics should still apply).

The really interesting part of this is whether or not the outbuilding then becomes 'habitable', i.e. Part of the main house, then it, I imagine becomes more complex.

If your just making a covered walkway(no sides) then you should probably be fine (it's exactly what I'm planning to do out to my workshop - covered gazebo-pergola type thingymijig).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back